• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good race for a paladin.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
RoD is technically right for a 3.5 campaign- it is the later published sourcebook.

The SS version is technically right for 3Ed, especially since that book was never updated...

dragonis111

First Post
I have decided on the half-ogre as the race, so I am upping the campaign to a 3rd level one(I'm the dm) so I can take at least one level in paladin, so what would be the best feat and skills to take? (I plan on being a heavily armored paladin that uses a sword and shield)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Are you planning on being mounted often? As a large creature, that will be MUCH more difficult, both in finding a mount before Pal 5, getting one via Paladin after that, and trying to fit it in a dungeon environment. I assume you won't be doing mounted combat then, so you should get the Charging Smite variant (PH2) or the Dungeonscape one that lets you summon spirits for aid (I think that's online ofr free in an excerpt).

You're paying +2 LA mostly for your size, so make use of it. Get feats like Stand Still and anything to improve your reach. Combat Reflexes is worthwhile if you can afford the dex. I really like the Knockback feat fom Races of Stone. It requires size large and Power Attack (you'll want this anyway, most likely) and Imp. Bull Rush. Lets you make a free bull rush attempt after any power attack, except you do not follow with the target as he moves. If you've ever played SUper Smash Bros., it's like having the homerun bat. Works great on AoOs due to reach to keep people away, too.

I would seriously consider not using a shield and two-handing your weapon if I were you. Not a typical Paladin thing to do. But you're not a typical Paladin.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Combining the above- I really love the Combat Reflexes feat tree- with mine about Power Attack...

Skip the sword & board build and go to a straight up 2 hander style. With a polearm & spiked armor. Power Attack should still be the first feat, but followed with Combat Reflexes, Stand Still, Hold the Line and Deft Opportunist, you'll control a HUGE area with your big, bad polearm.

Zanticor

First Post
I'm running a campaign with a halfling paladin/outrider, which works surprisingly well. Seated on a medium dog mount you can go everywhere. Charging in with a dog that trips makes your dm cry. I'm questing for the cause of good culinary tradition and with some skill points in cooking, the smell of roosted meat and taters never fails to draw in some wandering monsters. You just need some way to make your dog fly (or get a spider that climbs) and you can take on everything. The one drawback of taking a small paladin is the inevitable huge grappling monsters. Grapple sucks!

Zanticor

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Charging in with a dog that trips makes your dm cry.

Trip anything size large or smaller.

But yeah, when I say small races are better for mounted combat, it's mainly because they can go mostly anywhere. And Halfling Outrider is a great class, for melee and ranged combat on a mount, or a mix of both, on of my favorite prestige classes. Good flavor, and not unbalanced or weak.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads