• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good rule of thumb

DracoSuave

First Post
Now there is a guy who uses bullying and intimidation to disguise middling-at-best poker play.

And yet he can make money at the sport.

It's really hard to call him bad at the game when he's actually making decent money doing it.

I would bet he could probably beat Ferguson in a Dance Off though.

I dunno. Poker Jesus might sit there quietly... waiting... biding his time... then with a measured pace STEPBALLCHAIN YOU TO THE CLEANAZ!

twilsemail

First Post
Just you and three friends.

I'll dance in 5/4 time.

Edit: Also, sig, avatar, and status are now Rule of Thumb-compliant.

I think we need to ammend the rule slightly. Instead of DracoSuave having a x5 multiplier. I think DracoSuave should be an x5 multiplier. I mean, who else is that awesome? He's a force multiplier in his own right.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I dunno. Poker Jesus might sit there quietly... waiting... biding his time... then with a measured pace STEPBALLCHAIN YOU TO THE CLEANAZ!
Actually... Jesus Ferguson is a former ballroom dancing instructor and according to wikipedia is the current president of a swing dancing club in California.

So I think I can say that a good rule of thumb that when it comes to poker players dancing, one Jesus Ferguson is worth 5 other players.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
And yet he can make money at the sport.

It's really hard to call him bad at the game when he's actually making decent money doing it.

i know a lot of people who can consistently make money at poker who wouldn't call themselves great poker players; especially not at tournament play.

But all of this (and really most of this thread) is immaterial. What really matters is... can Draco Suave dance?

DracoSuave

First Post
i know a lot of people who can consistently make money at poker who wouldn't call themselves great poker players; especially not at tournament play.

But all of this (and really most of this thread) is immaterial. What really matters is... can Draco Suave dance?

Yes.

DracoSuave

First Post
Pics or it didn't happen.

Here's a picture of me from younger stupider days.

111.jpg

Jack Colby

First Post
I'd like to present a good rule of thumb to all posters who come onto the ENWorld 4E Discussion board and begin to make rules arguments.

* If you find yourself arguing a 4E rule with someone, take a look at both your and your discussion partner's Post count. If his/her count is more than 1000 above yours... assume that you are probably incorrect and should really pay closer attention to their argument and the sources they present to prove it.

The folks on these boards have been discussing 4E rules for years and have probably argued against the same point you are trying to make already. You probably are wrong. Not always... but most likely. Like I said... it's a good rule of thumb. If you don't believe me, then move to subsection A of this rule of thumb.

* If you find yourself arguing a 4E rule, take a look at how many people are on both sides of the argument. If there are five times as many people on one side as the other... assume that the lower side is probably incorrect.

And as a little addendum to this subsection A rule... DracoSuave is assumed to count as 5 people. ;)

The people who have been here the longest have had the same small pool of ideas ingrained into them for the longest time and are least likely to consider the possibility of other options. Fresh ideas are never a bad thing.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The people who have been here the longest have had the same small pool of ideas ingrained into them for the longest time and are least likely to consider the possibility of other options. Fresh ideas are never a bad thing.

But you can also look at it this way... the people who have been here the longest have the same small pool of ideas because they've already had the same exact argument about the rules several months/years ago... and have already determined what is technically the correct answer. So there's no need for a larger pool of ideas, because the answer's already been determined.

Most rules have one set RAW answer once the logic of the writing has been parsed. There is no need for "fresh ideas" per se. 2+2=4. And if you post that 2+2=5 and a half-dozen people come back and say "actually, it's 4, here's the math to prove it"... is it outrageous to think that perhaps you might have been mistaken? I do not personally think so.

But as we all know... this is NOT an absolute, because we find rare corner cases all the time where the logic of RAW can't be fully parsed because of vague wording. THIS is when those other fresh ideas you mention might come into play... and why I specifically said probably and not ALWAYS. Because sometimes those minority opinions or opinions from newer 4E players might actually be correct.

But I would certainly not believe they are as likely if not more likely to be right over those who have parsed the rules longer or in greater numbers. Call it "elitist thinking" all you want... I call it "LOGICAL".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads