• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good Slaves?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
evildmguy said:
Barring that, having competitions among the slave groups, and giving the winners more benefits and "freedoms" than the other might help them forget their lot in life. Then, they focus more on the next competition than trying to get free.

You know, I didn't understand American Idol until this very moment. :uhoh:

Thanks! -- N

sckeener

First Post
evildmguy said:
The best slave race is the one that doesn't know it is a slave race.

agreed. I think in DS9 I saw what I always thought was the best way to run a slave empire. The slaves, like in Ancient Egypt, need to worship their masters. The Dominion in DS9 had Founders at the top, with Vorta and the Jem'Hadar as the slave races. The Vorta were the science and diplomacy branch of the slaves and the Jem'Hadar were the muscle and military branch. Admittedly the Jem'Hadar usually got others to do the manual work, but they didn't seem opposed to doing it if they had to...

In addition to the Vorta and Jem'Hadar worshiping the Founders, they had other chains. Ketracel white bound the Jem'Hadar since they couldn't live without it. If the Vorta began to display any signs of free thought, they were killed and the clone replaced with a clone.

So if I was going to have slave races, I'd come up with a religion for them where the master race was to be worshiped. I'd reward some slaves by making them priests and I'd make sure their priestly powers where tied to gods (their masters)...that way they'd lose power if they stopped.

Then I would also create a disease that could never be permanently cured <genetic disease?> and that the slaves would need a supply of something from their gods (masters) to survive. Create a ritual around the substance...maybe saying it was part of their god they were eating, part of his essence.

My most recent slave race IMC, is the goblin race. They use to be halflings. The males look like regular goblins, but the females look like female halflings with goblin skin/eye colors. The males are the brute force and the females are the intelligent and charismatic. If they are good slaves, then their life is extended. If they are not, they are disposable.

sfedi

First Post
Kafkonia said:
Intelligence isn't an issue, so long as they have low Will -- so a low Wis or some sort of trait that makes them fail will saves.
No necesarily, a 5th level cleric can curse the slave to have a -6 Wis and a -4 to all saves, to hit, etc.

That´s a -7 to Will Saves.

GreatLemur

Explorer
Nifft said:
Lawful slaves wouldn't have discipline problems -- but they'd all rise up at once, being well organized and all.
But where would they ever find a leader, if they've all got a Charisma penalty? I'm voting for dwarves. As long as you aren't relying on drugs or magic to keep them in line, that is.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
GreatLemur said:
But where would they ever find a leader, if they've all got a Charisma penalty? I'm voting for dwarves. As long as you aren't relying on drugs or magic to keep them in line, that is.

I'm voting for them, too. Just to see them suffer! :]

One important thing is to force them to shave all over. Keep some goblins near, and let the dwarves clean their waste away. With their hands. And make them wear pointy felt hats. I guess that will break them completely.

Wasn't this how the Mind Flayers made duergar?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Kae'Yoss said:
And make them wear pointy felt hats. I guess that will break them completely.

Wasn't this how the Mind Flayers made duergar?

Duergar wear pointy hats? No wonder they're always so grumpy. ;)

P.S. "Feel the Newspaper." It has a nice ring to it, don't you think? :D

doc awesome

First Post
Kobolds would be the best, they breed fast wont cost much to feed and when they die you can feed them to their friends. and because they bred so fast their is a good chance that at least a few of them would be useful. On top of that you can assign a caster to every little work area maybe throw an explosive ruin in a few places to make them think twice about rising up on you.

Coarse this means your military power should be in your direct control and never let a caster gain a rank in your standing army should they should rise the slaves against you. If you need to a caster can be drafted as part of their own little branch with at least a few dopplegangers to spy on them if needed.

With the near free labor of the kobolds you should have a nifty amount of money you can use to buy an army so no one will have a real idea of how strong you might be.

Remove ads