Good suggestion for a miniature of Tiamat?

molonel

First Post
I am looking for a miniature of a 5-headed dragon to represent Tiamat in my upcoming campaign.

The Aspect of Tiamat from Wotc's minis is too small to represent the scope of what I'm trying to do.

Any suggestions?

I'd still go with the Aspect of Tiamat from the D&D miniature. Just laminate a piece of paper, or stick a piece of cardboard to the underside of the mini base to show what area the mini is actually covering.

Olaf the Stout

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Hmmmm... have you seen just how large the Colossal Red Dragon "miniature" is? You've got to figure that she is at least as big as that. Maybe use something the size of a VW Beetle or a Dodge Neon to represent her. :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Personally I wouldn't even bother putting a "mini" of Tiamat on the gaming table. If the players want to engage her in melee combat she'd get her attacks of opportunity as they move through her threatened squares. If the players decide to pelt her with ranged attackes then they might get a whole round of ranged attacks before she either retaliates with breath weapons or moves into melee range. Either way, for most characters combat with Tiamat is tantamount to suicide. I assume you want a mini to handle combat?

molonel

First Post
Calico_Jack73 said:
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Personally I wouldn't even bother putting a "mini" of Tiamat on the gaming table. If the players want to engage her in melee combat she'd get her attacks of opportunity as they move through her threatened squares. If the players decide to pelt her with ranged attackes then they might get a whole round of ranged attacks before she either retaliates with breath weapons or moves into melee range. Either way, for most characters combat with Tiamat is tantamount to suicide. I assume you want a mini to handle combat?

This is going to be the capstone of a campaign that goes from 1st through 21st level, and then episodically at 30th, 40th and either 50th or 60th level. The upper level cap is what I think they will need to actually fight a god with any chance of winning.

In the epic games I've seen, most characters fighting at that level have tumbling out the wazoo, or Spring Attack, or other means of getting through threatened squares. An epic champion at that point is going to be buffed or have a ring of universal elemental immunity.

Yes, I want the mini for combat. It's something that is probably 2 or 3 years down the line, so I've got plenty of time, but I've been thinking about it recently.

smootrk

First Post
I was at Toys R Us not long ago and I saw a multiheaded plastic toy that may suit your purposes, especially if you take a little time to paint the heads different colors...

Even with such a stand in (or the colossal red), I would suggest having the Huge Aspect of Tiamat also on the table for your players to see what the figure should look like, in different scale anyhow. You could also get a copy of the Dragon Magazine Cover which had Tiamat on it... and print it out as large as possible (or run up to Kinko's and print it) to hang over your DM screen or equivalent area when the fight begins.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Hmm... this probably isn't much bigger than the DDM...

How about this? 11 inches tall...

I don't really like this one that much.

Too bad you're unlikely to find one of these around these days! :D

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
molonel said:
I am looking for a miniature of a 5-headed dragon to represent Tiamat in my upcoming campaign.

The Aspect of Tiamat from Wotc's minis is too small to represent the scope of what I'm trying to do.

Any suggestions?
Try searching for hydra mini or toy instead of a dragon one, then just paint the heads in the appropriate colors.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
smootrk said:
I was at Toys R Us not long ago and I saw a multiheaded plastic toy that may suit your purposes, especially if you take a little time to paint the heads different colors...

Even with such a stand in (or the colossal red), I would suggest having the Huge Aspect of Tiamat also on the table for your players to see what the figure should look like, in different scale anyhow. You could also get a copy of the Dragon Magazine Cover which had Tiamat on it... and print it out as large as possible (or run up to Kinko's and print it) to hang over your DM screen or equivalent area when the fight begins.

Complete Divine has an awesome picture of Tiamat as well. You might show your player's that and say, "This is what she really looks like, but this miniature will represent her."

Klaus

First Post
This might take some work, but:

1) Take an Aspect of Tiamat mini;

2) Take pictures of it from the front , back and each side, preferrably with a white background;

3) Crop the pictures and resize them until they're 8-inch squares;

4) Print them on heavy-ish paper;

5) Paste them back to back (front/back and side/side);

6) Make a cut down the center of the front/back paper, down to the middle (so a 4-inch cut);

7) Do the same with the side/side paper, but from the bottom to the middle instead of from the top;

8) Fit the two papers together using the cuts. From above it should look like an "X".

Remove ads