• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Good threads for Sorceror spell lists? or What is most fun.

FluidDragon

First Post
I might be playing a sorceror in an upcoming campaign. I was wondering if you all know of any good threads relating to spell and feat choice.

Basically I'm looking for the spells that keep the character fun to play in a number of situations. Any recomendations? And what feats did you get the most use out of?

-FD

Sir Whiskers

First Post
Three feats I recommend are Extend Spell, Sculpt Spell, and Energy Substitution. The last two require a metamagic feat as a prereq, and I've found Extend Spell to be useful in a number of situations - you might prefer Empower or Silent Spell, though.

Once you have Sculpt Spell, any area effect spell (like fireball) becomes much more useful. And Energy Substitution makes your limited spell selection go much further (your fireball can now do cold damage, for example, or acid - whatever element you've chosen with the feat). I believe both these feats are in T&B.

And for any spellcaster, Spellcasting Prodigy from FRCS is an excellent choice.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
Mensurb:

Spellcasting Prodigy [General]

You have an exceptional gift for magic.

Benefit: For the purposes of determining bonus spells and the saving throw DC's of spells you cast, treat your primary spellcasting ability score (Charisma for bards and sorcerers, Wisdom for divine spellscasters, Intelligence for wizards) as 2 points higher than its actual value. If you have more than one spellcasting class, the bonus applies to only one of those classes.

Special: You may only take this feat as a 1st-level character. If you take this feat more than once (for example, if you are a human or another type of creature that gets more than one feat at 1st level), it applies to a different spellcasting class each time. You can take this feat even if you don't have any spellcasting classes yet.

Keep in mind that this is not in the core books, so you need GM approval (I don't remember if it's making its way into 3.5 core).

As for getting the book, I wouldn't recommend it for just this feat. The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (FRCS), however, has a host of useful material which makes it worth checking out, even if you don't run a Forgotten Realms campaign.

yennico

First Post
Sir Whiskers said:
Three feats I recommend are Extend Spell, Sculpt Spell, and Energy Substitution. The last two require a metamagic feat as a prereq, and I've found Extend Spell to be useful in a number of situations - you might prefer Empower or Silent Spell, though.

Once you have Sculpt Spell, any area effect spell (like fireball) becomes much more useful. And Energy Substitution makes your limited spell selection go much further (your fireball can now do cold damage, for example, or acid - whatever element you've chosen with the feat). I believe both these feats are in T&B.
Sculpt Spell und Energy Substitution are most useful if you have many evocation spells.
I recommend the feat Heighten Spell for enchantment and transmutation spells.
Spell Focus (either Enchantment, Transmutation or Evocation) is also a good choice.

And for any spellcaster, Spellcasting Prodigy from FRCS is an excellent choice.
I agree with Sir Wiskers

Just my 2 cents
yennico

Thresher

First Post
Transmutation has a lot of nice stuff in it that is somewhat 'multi-functional' and theres plenty of it at each level. Load up on a bit of Abjuration as well every level, lots of good things in there you can protect yourself with. Divination is also an area you shouldnt neglect, or at worst get a few trinkets/scrolls to patch up the gaps in your repatoire.

On evocation, Im of two minds with it, its fun to blow people away but the damage tends to cap the fun somewhat. I think Evocation as a whole needs a bit of tweaking as in my experience a lot of defence is available against it and after awile without a very heavy backing of metamagic its not really that good at making arses hit the deck.

But above all, get anything that will boost the saves of your spell DC's, either items, feats or whatever.

FluidDragon

First Post
Thanks for all the great replies so far. Last night before the boards went down there were a number of posts on this thread I didn't get to see and are not here anymore if you posted something previously could you please repost? Thanks!

BTW It is a dwarven sorceror now going for the Elemental Savant PrC -Earth

-FD

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads