Goodman Games Announced the Indie RPG Creator Summit; Featured Presenters Share Something In Common

Reynard

Legend
The listed presenters represent a very small sliver of indie RPG design, both in terms of content and distribution channels. The lack of any presence from Exalted Funeral or any panel addressing distribution through itch.io shows a very narrow focus for an event that bills itself as an Indie RPG Creators Summit.
I think this is more important than the issues of old white dudeness. The title of the event implies a degree of authority that isn't really there. It's just "an" indie creator summit, which is fine, but it feels like they are going for "The" Indie Creator Summit. As such, the lack of diversity seems more problematic than it actually is.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Seems like my comments in the other thread were deleted. Man, what a mess. If you follow the link to their actual summit, there are several non-white men there. Their other promo image is much more diverse:

1701464590372.png

But the damage was already done. Whoever put out the first image made a huge mistake. We all know no one on social media actually checks out what's going on before making an assumption. That is proven by looking at the comments. 99% of the people there never even went to the site, but assumed those were the only presenters. Doesn't matter that GG came out with this other image. Damage was already done.

Reynard

Legend
Seems like my comments in the other thread were deleted. Man, what a mess. If you follow the link to their actual summit, there are several non-white men there. Their other promo image is much more diverse:

View attachment 335774

But the damage was already done. Whoever put out the first image made a huge mistake. We all know no one on social media actually checks out what's going on before making an assumption. That is proven by looking at the comments. 99% of the people there never even went to the site, but assumed those were the only presenters. Doesn't matter that GG came out with this other image. Damage was already done.
Twitter/X exists only to churn outrage.

Reynard

Legend
And people (pretend to) wonder why the online discourse continues to degrade. Everything about this is both predictable, and sad.
And every one of them that sees the other promo pick will convince themselves that it was THEIR outrage that caused the organizers to rush to diversify the participants. Thereby reinforcing their behavior and perpetuating the cycle.

Scribe

Legend
And every one of them that sees the other promo pick will convince themselves that it was THEIR outrage that caused the organizers to rush to diversify the participants. Thereby reinforcing their behavior and perpetuating the cycle.

Yeah. Embarrassing really, but this is the kind of thing that had me delete all my social media, and is exactly what you say. Perpetuation of the cycle of outrage generation, leading to the reactionary opposite effect, and on and on it goes.

Clown show.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Most of the Twitter discourse that I've seen was aware of the full slate of presenters and questioning why the original ten faces were selected. Their responses may not have changed the presenter list, but it certainly changed the way they were promoting it.

Writing off legitimate concerns and mostly reasonable discussion as "Twitter outrage" is not only unfair and insulting, it's very often wrong, and engaging in the same kinds of uncritical misrepresenting outrage that is presumably being groused about in the first place.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
I think the more important question that this image doesn't answer is what the point of the webinars are beyond the vague "indie rpg" description, and that's a bigger issue to me than not highlighting specific people over others.
Goodman Games has a link to the event on their site.

My cynical take is it’s a way for BackerKit to boost its crowdfunding platform. You don’t have to pay except for the third day, which comes with a number of incentives to launch your next campaign on their platform.

Remove ads