• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goodman Games' DDC writer Harley Stroh on Áereth

architect.zero

First Post
Jan van Leyden said:
To see the most outstanding examples, you'll have to look beyond D&D and way back in time:

You don't have to look back in time at all, just go and see what the Pinnacle guys are doing with Savage Worlds "plot point" campaigns, such as 50 Fathoms, or Solomon Kane. They're not as "deep" as the CoC stuff, but they're fantastically flexible published campaigns/adventures in a very similar vein. I wish more RPG publishers produced similarly crafted products.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
architect.zero said:
You don't have to look back in time at all, just go and see what the Pinnacle guys are doing with Savage Worlds "plot point" campaigns, such as 50 Fathoms, or Solomon Kane. They're not as "deep" as the CoC stuff, but they're fantastically flexible published campaigns/adventures in a very similar vein. I wish more RPG publishers produced similarly crafted products.
Hmmh, 50 Fathoms deep sits on my shelf waiting for me to have time for it. :)

---
Huldvoll

Jan van Leyden

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I remember saying a couple weeks ago that the DCC world was the one I planned to stick with regardless of the edition change because it is already a "POL" setting. They did a great job on DCC 35, creating a setting that is detailed enough to be easily usable, while leaving enough open that any DM can customize it to suit their tastes. Unless I wanted to go super exotic with a setting, I really have no reason to look elsewhere. If I do make the move to 4E, it is far more likely that I'll use the DCC world than the new FR.

As an aside, I might get the new FR setting book just to see if the new incarnation blows me away, but right now I'm reluctant to toss all the books I own in favor of what is essentially a brand new setting.

Filcher

First Post
Whisperfoot said:
As an aside, I might get the new FR setting book just to see if the new incarnation blows me away, but right now I'm reluctant to toss all the books I own in favor of what is essentially a brand new setting.

That's my sense, too. The lure of the Realms, to me, IS the Realms Lore. I'm assuming that the Greyhawk is eventually also going to suffer a Changing Event. My players want to stick with a world that they're invested in rather than reinvent the wheel with new PCs.

Fathead

First Post
Sitara said:
But their adventures, from what I can gather, are krawls. (and are meatn to be I know)> They don't offer a fullfilling roleplaying experiance for those looking for something deeper than just hacking their way to the end. (which can be fun, but for many its a chore)

Basically I'm saying maybe they should also offer products to the other crowd, the one more into roleplaying.

I'm curious...which DCCs have you played?

My gaming group plays in a roleplaying intensive homebrew campaign, and as such has seldom use of modules...BUT, the DCCs offer the best shot at being integrated (I can pick and choose good combats), and is also our publisher of choice when we do one-shots or gaming weekeends with friends. The tournament modules, in particular, give a good mixture of combat, strategy, riddles, and puzzles (even a few roleplaying opportunities, if done right)...all of that combined makes for some difficult times for mindless hack-and-slashers.

Voss

First Post
Filcher said:
That's my sense, too. The lure of the Realms, to me, IS the Realms Lore. I'm assuming that the Greyhawk is eventually also going to suffer a Changing Event. My players want to stick with a world that they're invested in rather than reinvent the wheel with new PCs.

Personally, I expect they won't touch Greyhawk at all. It will linger, forgotten, in its comfortable little niche of Limbo

Filcher

First Post
Voss said:
Personally, I expect they won't touch Greyhawk at all. It will linger, forgotten, in its comfortable little niche of Limbo

If it does, the grognards should consider themselves lucky. I'm all for the 4E rules set changes, but not where it dramatically changes established worlds.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads