[Goodman Games] Monster List for Blackdirge's Dungeon Denizens

Pinotage

Explorer
Nope, a lot of the monsters appeared in one form or another in a Goodman Games product, primarily the DCC line. However, there are quite a few new monsters, or significant expansions on the old ones.

Might have missed this, Blackdirge, but are these critters exactly the same ones that were in the 3.5e version of the product?

Pinotage

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Might have missed this, Blackdirge, but are these critters exactly the same ones that were in the 3.5e version of the product?

Pinotage

Some of the monsters are the same, but there are quite a few new ones. In addition, even the old monster entries have been signicantly expanded, so a majority of the book is all new material.

BD

chaotix42

First Post
Woohoo, new monsters in a new monster book! Can't wait.

Any chance you could shine some light on the dragonborn atavists, Blackdirge? With so many different versions my curiosity is piqued.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Any chance you could shine some light on the dragonborn atavists, Blackdirge? With so many different versions my curiosity is piqued.

Sure. Here's a short bit of the fluff text for the atavists:

Dragonborn atavists are genetic throwbacks that occur in roughly one out of every 10,000 births in large dragonborn communities. Unlike the typical dragonborn, whose draconic heritage has become mixed and muted over the millennia, dragonborn atavists closely resemble a specific breed of chromatic dragon.

Atavists are universally evil, possessing the wicked nature of the dragon type they resemble, and are shunned by the great clans of dragonborn. However, atavists are incredibly powerful creatures, and are quite capable of surviving on their own. Each displays a number of potent abilities related to the dragon breed to which they are related, and most are more than a match for numerous standard dragonborn.

BD

chaotix42

First Post
That's pretty cool! Thanks for the sneak peek.

I can't wait to see how this book turns out. I just noticed that vargouilles are in, and I loved those things! Nothing like a monster that wants to kiss you to freak PCs out.

mevers

First Post
That's a pretty extensive list.

How many "normal" animals are in there? I realise for GSL / SRD reasons you need to change the names of critters, but how many of those monsters can conceivable substitute for your 'mundane' bears, and boars, and wolfs etc?

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
That's a pretty extensive list.

How many "normal" animals are in there? I realise for GSL / SRD reasons you need to change the names of critters, but how many of those monsters can conceivable substitute for your 'mundane' bears, and boars, and wolfs etc?

Well, the bat, beetle, frog, raven, scorpion, slayer ant, and spider entries all feature critters that are pretty generic. For instance, the dungeonweb spiders in the spider entry are simply giant, web-spinning, venomous spiders that come in Medium, Large, and Huge sizes.

BD

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
That's pretty cool! Thanks for the sneak peek.

I can't wait to see how this book turns out. I just noticed that vargouilles are in, and I loved those things! Nothing like a monster that wants to kiss you to freak PCs out.

No problem.

Yeah, I also love vargouilles. I had some evil fun with the vargouille swarm. :) :devil:

Remove ads