• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goodman Games Releasing 4e Adventures Prior to October 1st

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Piss off the folks at Hasbro who aren't on board with the whole open source thing -- which is pretty much everyone over 50, incidentally, which is also the demographic of the folks running multinational corporations -- and you can pretty much guarantee 5E will be closed and that Hasbro will likely be TSR-like in their response to third party publishers.
And?
We don't need 5e and we don't need their corporation. We have three editions of background to pull from and a boatload of OGC. I think it's time to let the major corporation side of this hobby die and just set off on our own without them. They're nothing but excess overhead dragging us down, the community at large and smaller publishers can support our hobby well enough.

Terramotus

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
Its posts like this that I find disturbing and possibly detrimental to the entire community. I hope the GSL is supported. I hope that people don't try and result to copyright to produce products for 4e. All of that just adds up to bad blood and a very adversarial relationship with Wizards of the Coast. I'm so over the whole, "the man is holding me down mentality and we need to teach the man a lesson." Its just so tired already.
I'm not "raging against the machine", anti-4E over here. I love WotC's products, I buy a boatload of them, and I love 4E so much that I'm never going back to 3E or OGL products. Sorry, OGL guys.

But I've had all I can stand of the copyright cartels trying to hijack copyright to maximize their profits at the expense of sanity and common sense, and to erode fair use rights under copyright and the public domain down to nothing. It's become so prevalent that it's been used to water down the d20 license into the GSL, which has virtually no benefit to a 3rd party publisher over the rights he already has, and actually restricts them quite a bit.

Now, it's true that Wizards may try to sue a 3rd party publisher with the law against them, and win through attrition. That's a sad reality of our current legal system. But that doesn't mean that I have to sit here and be happy about it. I have no intention of going back to OGL games, but it's already a rotten, adversarial relationship when they try to force companies to give up their existing product lines in the hope that they'll succeed with 4E.

I understand that 3rd party publishers need to maintain a good relationship with Hasbro, as they have their own business interests to look after. Fortunately, I'm not dependant upon the Dungeons and Dragons brand for my livelihood. In the modern age, with piracy being so rampant, companies are going to have to learn that goodwill with their consumers isn't just a bonus - it's necessary to turn a profit. And if they want to try to close off 5E and crush fair use through abuse of the legal system, I hope they burn off every ounce of goodwill they've got.

I don't even buy too many 3rd party products, to be honest, so the GSL won't have a huge effect on me. I don't need adventures written by others, since I enjoy writing my own settings and adventures, and the crunch from WotC is usually more symmetrical and better tested in my experience. I bought a bunch of d20 Modern stuff, Malhavoc stuff, Iron Heroes, and a few odds and ends of products that supported my campaigns really well. But I could live happily without any 3rd party support, in all likelihood. And I know there's virtually no chance of what's said here changing anyone important's mind about the GSL. But if they want to go down this road, they'll quickly go from being a cool company that I like to support to a company I hate and will never give another dime to.

If that means D&D dies... well, I'll be sad. But this issue is more important to me personally, and more important to us as a culture than any game I might enjoy. This isn't about people wanting to latch onto a property for free, or get free stuff. We're facing a Digial Dark Age, where threat of lawsuit, lack of support from the original author, and the vicious attack on the public domain through copyright extension is going to cause thousands upon thousands of works to disappear from public consciousness, and perhaps entirely, just because people are terrified of running afoul of copyright law. That's unacceptable. Look up the Google Library Project to see how shortsighted publishers can be - they don't even care if anyone is making any money off of the original work. And every shred of ground lost on this hurts us as a culture, IMO the greatest culture in history for an intellectual.

In short, while I appreciate the difficulty of your situation, I'm sorry. I'm going to continue to be upset by this. But I'd rather do what's right than be comfortable.

Last edited:

drothgery

First Post
HeavenShallBurn said:
And?
We don't need 5e and we don't need their corporation. We have three editions of background to pull from and a boatload of OGC. I think it's time to let the major corporation side of this hobby die and just set off on our own without them. They're nothing but excess overhead dragging us down, the community at large and smaller publishers can support our hobby well enough.

Back on earth, a healthy RPG hobby requires a healthy company that regularly updates D&D and produces content for it. Besides, while WotC might be the only company in the RPG industry that's not a 'small business' by any standard definition, they're certainly not a large one unless you count all of Hasbro.

GVDammerung

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
Its posts like this that I find disturbing and possibly detrimental to the entire community. I hope the GSL is supported. I hope that people don't try and result to copyright to produce products for 4e. All of that just adds up to bad blood and a very adversarial relationship with Wizards of the Coast. I'm so over the whole, "the man is holding me down mentality and we need to teach the man a lesson." Its just so tired already.

I suppose one can sit and take it, and take, and take it. Or one can try to do something about it. As long as what is tried is legal or unadjudicated, I see no problem. Its called the American Way - Don't Tread On Me!

AllisterH

First Post
Um, while we've been focusing on D&D, how does this NOT affect SJgames, Palladium and White Wolf.

Somehow, I don't think SJgames and WW are happy with Goodman games.

Filcher

First Post
AllisterH said:
Um, while we've been focusing on D&D, how does this NOT affect SJgames, Palladium and White Wolf.

Somehow, I don't think SJgames and WW are happy with Goodman games.

I don't understand. Why would they care what happens in D&D land?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads