• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goodman Games solicits input

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I think GG needs to consider that maybe the DCC line has run it's course, meaning that maybe it's just not that type of modules that the modern gamer wants anymore. I am pretty sure there is a 4e market for good adventures, but if GG's DCC's do not sell enough, then perhaps it's the style that needs to change. Of course, this is all assuming that the 4e DCC line doesn't sell well anymore.

Yes, I'd certainly interpret sagging sales of 4e DCCs as an indication that the most successful adventure module line of all time had run its course and needed fundamental change.

But definitely, definitely not indicative of anything to do with 4e.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I think it is more likely Joseph is looking to expand his customer base and increase sales, not replace any "lost" 4e customers.

I can see Pathfinder/3.5e being profitable, but I'm not so sure about 1e/OSRIC. As much as I love the "old school" movement, I'm not sure it's of significant size to support anything more than what's already out there now - a few (really good) small press publishers and grass root fan support.

Before 4e came out, Goodman Games converted a few of their DCCs to 1e/OSRIC. Perhaps they could do something similar for 3.5e/Pathfinder with say, the 4e Punjar series, and place those in a single book as an "adventure path". Like they did with Saga of the Rat King for 1e/OSRIC.

Filcher

First Post
My best guess is that they see a lot of gamers on the other side of the aisle. If you can keep the ones you have AND get some of those others (some of whom may have played DCCs in the past) it is a good move.

It seems they are reacting to the schism and trying to make the most of it. Makes sense IMO. A lot has changed since the 3.5 boom/bust, and companies need to change as well.

pawsplay

Hero
3e/Pf players buy products, but they are small. 4e players should buy 3pp, but they don't. What's a publisher to do? Can't say. I know what my answer is as a creative person: find the medium that inspires you and make the best stuff you know how. What you can picture in your mind, the thing that makes you say, "Yeah, that'd be awesome!", do that.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I think there's always going to be a demand for good adventures from 3PPs, no matter what edition. But if you can't put something like a class into WotC's DDI thingy, then 4e is effectively out for 3PPs.

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm currently playing 3E, started playing 4e in several test sessions and will eventually switch to 4e completely.

To be honest I don't see a lot of need for additional adventure modules right now.

For 4e there's Dungeon, the RPGA, the WotC modules, and WotBS. That's already a lot of modules. From 3e / Pathfinder there's still many modules that should be quite easy to convert. There's definitely a great many more than I could ever play.

Additionally, thinking back about the 3e DCC modules I have (about 2/3 of the available ones), I don't think many translate well into 4e. Imho, they're mostly quite edition-specific. They make extensive use of tactics and monster abilities that are edition-specific. I'm not at all sure they'd survive a translation into 4e well.

To me the question is: Would modules written for 4e translate well into 3e / Pathfinder?

About the only modules I'd really be interested in right now, are setting-specific modules. E.g. since I'm probably going to use the Eberron setting for 4e I'd like to see more Eberron adventures. Since I'm a fan of Dark Sun, I'd probably get any new adventure modules for Dark Sun, too.

That's something that Goodman Games or other third parties cannot provide, though.

Jack99

Adventurer
It could be that too of course. I didnt mention the possibility because I knew someone else would and because I do not believe any 3pp has enough status to be that tightly linked to how 4e fares. Most dnd players do not know who goodman games is..
Yes, I'd certainly interpret sagging sales of 4e DCCs as an indication that the most successful adventure module line of all time had run its course and needed fundamental change.

But definitely, definitely not indicative of anything to do with 4e.

I think the design considerations for a good 4e module are different from those of a good 1e or 3.x module. Just converting the stats probably wouldn't cut it, in my opinion. And with an increasing number of modules being released for my preferred system (or one that is highly compatible in its stats and approach to the game), a 4e module with converted stats would be very low on my list of likely purchases.

stick with 4E

Add me to the list of people who think that it's untenable to make an adventure that works with both 4E and earlier versions, with different statblocks.

I don't play 4E, but I look at it this way:

1) if you write for 3E/Pathfinder, your modules compete with Paizo

2) if you write for 4E, your modules compete with WoTC

Paizo's stuff is topnotch, while WoTC's is subpar. So, I think you'll do better staying with 4E. You can basically try to occupy the niche Paizo had in 3E. If you can't make staying with 4E work, you can try the generic module thing, but my sense is that the 4E world assumptions are so different from previous editions that it won't work.

Ken

Remove ads