• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Goofy figs.

KaosDevice

Explorer
What is the silliest thing you've used instead of a miniature in an RPG?

Mine would have to be a set of Elvis shot glasses for a group of orcs.

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
I regularly use plastic cavemen as a substitute for generic humanoid mook figures. I've got a couple plastic squeezy dinosaur bath toys that I've used for giant lizards - they can squirt water from their mouths if loaded up. Can't wait to spring a spit acid attack on the PCs and just have the line of water ejected be the aoe. I've used a little wooden buddha figurine, plastic vending-machine princesses, homies, pokemon, and winnie-the-pooh-in-animal-costumes toys for miniatures before.

The top of my list and what has been my regular gaming miniature for years now, however, is a miniature from the short-lived Macho Women with Guns line:

A semihumanoid crow, holding a machine gun, wearing a bowler hat, and chomping down on a cigar.

It's the greatest thing ever.

I was at one game where the DM mistakenly, while groping blindly into a drawer for something to use as a mini for a giant, pulled out a 'gag' gift he had been given for his recent engagement.

It was a, ummmm. Battery Powered Silicon representation of a Male Adult Entertainer's 'Naughty bits'.

Sorta knocked the drama right out of that encounter.

Chaldfont

First Post
We played 3.0 for years with "MUSCLE Men" figures from the 80s. I even glued pieces of cardboard to their feat so they would stand up. They were layed off when the D&D Minis came out. Here are just a few of the ones we used:

m023.gif

m111.gif

m112.gif

m157.gif

m163.gif

This last one always struck fear in the hearts of my players:
m036.gif

Add to that Lego knights and a set of German WWII soldiers and you've got a D&D game!

Kuld

Explorer
My son’s toys like a little Grover and Cookie Monster.

Make a spot check, Elmo’s lurking in the darkness…

Zander

Explorer
I used the sleeve of a navy blue jacket once as a purple worm. It looked the part but was difficult to move around.

I have a bunch of silly minis that I've found excuses to use over the years including a skeleton pizza delivery man, a dwarf on stilts, a wizard with a machine gun, Snoopy in chainmail, a fighter with everything including a kitchen sink, a 3-headed/3 Stooges troll and the TMNTs.

AegisKelt

First Post
Most of the time, since im a cheap SOB, we use pennies spray painted white with the name of the monster/player/etc. wrote on a side. With this though you get 2 monsters for the price of one, one side of pennies had orc wrote on it, the other kobold, etc etc.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Chaldfont said:
We played 3.0 for years with "MUSCLE Men" figures from the 80s. I even glued pieces of cardboard to their feat so they would stand up. They were layed off when the D&D Minis came out. Here are just a few of the ones we used:

Add to that Lego knights and a set of German WWII soldiers and you've got a D&D game!

Cool, we did the same thing until we got into minis.

And I really got into LEGO for Star Wars. We built whole sets for the game. Filled the whole table up with it. Each 3 dots was 2 metres.

Would have taken pictures with the digital camera, but my sister moved into my old room and took everything apart.

Remove ads