• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Google Maps for Forgotten Realms (specifically 5th edition D&D)

tk32

First Post
Does anyone have some type of "Google maps" GPS type of mapping tool for Faerun?

My campaign will most likely have the PCs traveling to Thay from the sword coast, and there's a lot of adventures to be had on the way possibly. I will provide an option probably to teleport near the location possibly, but they'd have the option to walk, float on tenser's disk or take horse or horse and buggy.

I'd like some type of distance calculator to be able to pick countries, cities, etc, between the sword coast and inner parts of the continent, such as Thay, or Cormyr etc.

bmfrosty

Explorer
That's the 3e or 4e map that can still be found on wizard's site, but is mostly hiding. I'm hoping that they get a 5e version at that scale sometime - hopefully commissioned by Mike Schley. I'd also kill to see someone import it to google maps.

Quickleaf

Legend
Does anyone have some type of "Google maps" GPS type of mapping tool for Faerun?

My campaign will most likely have the PCs traveling to Thay from the sword coast, and there's a lot of adventures to be had on the way possibly. I will provide an option probably to teleport near the location possibly, but they'd have the option to walk, float on tenser's disk or take horse or horse and buggy.

I'd like some type of distance calculator to be able to pick countries, cities, etc, between the sword coast and inner parts of the continent, such as Thay, or Cormyr etc.

The only product that ever came close to what you describe is the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas.

machineelf

Explorer
My advice/contribution is to make sure it doesn't get too monotonous for your players. If you can make it an epic journey with interesting things happening every day, like the Fellowship of the Rings journey to Mount Doom. But if you start having multiple days of nothing happening besides travel, and your players still have to roll for navigation and foraging and camping, etc. etc., it can get old, so a better approach may be to summarize some parts of travel until they get to an interesting new area where something happens.

Also, how do you travel on a tenser's floating disc? Doesn't the caster have to walk ahead of it?

Last edited:

tk32

First Post
My advice/contribution is to make sure it doesn't get too monotonous for your players. If you can make it an epic journey with interesting things happening every day, like the Fellowship of the Rings journey to Mount Doom. But if you start having multiple days of nothing happening besides travel, and your players still have to roll for navigation and foraging and camping, etc. etc., it can get old, so a better approach may be to summarize some parts of travel until they get to an interesting new area where something happens.

Also, how do you travel on a tenser's floating disc? Doesn't the caster have to walk ahead of it?

Yeah forgot about that part with Tenser's disk, they used it to haul their luggage (chests of gold etc) so they didn't have to go the speed of a wagon, they could go riding speed on horse with it and still haul their stuff. Every 8 hours their stuff fell to the ground and they had to pick it up. I should have rolled to see how much gold they missed each time it fell. ;)

Ikaros82

First Post
I've made two tools for 3.5, one using Google Earth, the other one using Inkscape. See the images. Let me know if you are still interested in this topic, so I can explain how to make the same thing with 5e maps. Please note that all distances in these images are automatically calculated.
dndmaps1.jpgdndmaps2.jpgdndmaps3.jpg

Remove ads