• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Got Me a New Set of Dice...

Scribble

First Post
I've been playing in a friend's campaign, and my dice were rolling pretty poorly.

So, I did what any good gamer would do. I went out and bought a brand new set of chessex dice.

It seems to be working. They roll pretty well. I keep them in the box, (so they don't get cross contaminated by whatever cursed up my other dice...) and only pull them out when I need to put the mojo on. Then they go right back into the box. (Can't be to careful with dice curses...)

I'm still using the other ones for a large majority of my rolls, but each time I threaten them by telling them they might get replaced entirely if they don't shape up.

It's worked with a few, but some are stubborn. (I hope I can break the stubborn ones before they start a dice rebellion on me...)

Anyon else have any good tricks for decursifying dice?

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Someone had a very cool story about putting dice in the freezer (originally accidentally, iirc) that seemed to work.

I keep my original Torg d20 separated from my other dice in order to prevent cross-contamination. You can't be too careful with that dice - it's charmed. Players in my last group asked me to retire it and only use if for "special occasions", so feared had it become.

Whatever you do, don't let your dice get near crazy_cat's, should you ever find yourself in a game with him (I know, I know, it's not very likely, but it's my anecdote, so what the hell). The man's dice-fu is cursed. Cursed, I tell you. I have seen dice crumble to dust when he so much as looks at them. Terrifying.

Darklone

At the end of the short story in my sig are some comments about dice and luck ;)

I didn't find the Dice Manifest yet though where all this wisdom has been gathered decades ago.

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
I maintain two dice bags; my overflow bag which contains extra d6's (for casters/rogues) and d10s (for most of the other games I play) and advises me that Jesus will only be taking half damage, and my handcrafted main bag in gold and purple which contains 20 sets of 7 dice each suitable for D&D, every single one of them a Chessex die. Each character I play has his or her set (or sets) of dice selected from the bag to be appropriate to the character; the paladin in my .sig, for example, uses the white-with-black for his primary attack, and red-with-silver for his secondary attack. This strategy is lucky as long as you pick the right color of dice - I make it easy on myself by only having 10 color schemes in the bag. Dice not in use are re-randomized by the bag (because everyone knows that purple and gold are the optimum colors for a dice bag, both by sympathetic association and their opposition on the color wheel) so other players may use them freely.

I did once buy a set of dice - dark grey with white swirls and red ink - that proceeded to prove themselves cursed. In six sessions of play I never rolled higher than a 12 on the d20 (and was often closer to 6) and doing more than half possible damage was a miracle. Let a friend borrow them and they were on fire all night. Gave them to him then and there and he's only ever used dice of that color scheme since that day.

Rugger

Explorer
Mark Hope said:
I keep my original Torg d20 separated from my other dice in order to prevent cross-contamination. You can't be too careful with that dice - it's charmed. Players in my last group asked me to retire it and only use if for "special occasions", so feared had it become.

Um...wow.

My players use to FEAR my Torg d20 also. "Torgy" used to be the most amazing die I ever rolled... there musta been some mojo on the production line the day they made those...

:)

-Matt

Friadoc

Explorer
I have a friend who says he would, ahem, executed a bad dice within the view of his other dice, so as to show them what happens if they displease him.

*chuckles*

I gotta admit, when I use to play WoD, I'd chuck offending 10s and upon retrieval they seemed to work better.

But, I recently bought a few new sets of Chessex's Scarab dice and they seem to be working just fine for me, be it in d20 or Alternity campaigns.

zen_hydra

First Post
Rugger said:
Um...wow.

My players use to FEAR my Torg d20 also. "Torgy" used to be the most amazing die I ever rolled... there musta been some mojo on the production line the day they made those...

:)

-Matt

OMFG!!! I thought that I was the only one with a karmically blessed Torg d20.

Unbelievable.

boerngrim

Explorer
There was a D20 that somehow floated around in one of my old game groups. It was dark brown with white numerals. It seemed to pop up in everyone's dice bag at different times. We reverently referred to it as Dooky Brown, but only in hushed voices. One did not wish to offend Dooky Brown, or call down its wrath. This little brown polyhedron had an amazing power. It only ever, yes EVER rolled ONES...or TWENTIES! I don't know if it was a gag die or loaded in some way, but I swear on my PHB that it only ever came up one or twenty. As players we only used it when we were up against the wall and nothing else could prevent a TPK. If Dooky Brown was on our side we would triumph, if not then it just wasn't meant to be! :D

Oryan77

Adventurer
I have my blood red die that I call...well....Blood Red. Sometimes it's referred to as the Devil Die or Demon Die.

I've made it a tradition to roll it in the open at the beginning of every session. It's amazing how many times it rolls a 20 when I do that :confused:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads