• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Got my PHB3

Crothian

First Post
I know I'm not the first and since I don't see the thread on it in the first few pages I guess it is possible that we have gotten everything we want out of the book. That's pretty impressive since the street date isn't till another 2 weeks. I also got a Harrow Halls Dungeon Tiles though I'm not sure when that comes out.

The most interesting thing about the book and one I hadn't seen mentioned (though I easily could have missed it) is that for the first time I can recall psionics are actually given a good reason to be in the world of D&D. Before it always seemed like an add on that some people had. There was never any explanation on where the power came from. Some groups used it others did not. Some campaign settings tried to feature it but they never to my satisfaction really explained why it was there. It always seemed that the creators of some settings like psionics so they used them.

I know many gamers these days concentrate on the races, classes, and feats and don't seem to care about world building aspects (and to be fair this is not a new mentality I've seen if from gamers for 30 years) but in opening the book and reading the first few pages it was like seeing something that was missing from the game for a long time that I never realized was not there.

How are people liking the PHB3? I imagine most questions on it have been answered since other people do that better then I, but ask away if you have something. :D

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm really looking forward to getting it... sometime. Wizards products have become extremely erratic in when they arrive in Australia these days.

One thing I adore about 4e is its cosmology and origin stories, something that I didn't like (even if they were present) in earlier editions.

Cheers!

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Oddly enough, having used psionics in the background lore of my campaign, since the 80's, I am worried that their explanation will overwhelm my information.

/tangent
I would like to rant about how we DMs create things and then they catch on and become popular and then we cant feel special anymore.
/end tangent

But hopefully I can put a spin on it and make it mine. I really find your reaction very interesting. Is it because they (officially) worked it into the world, or is it because it is the first time a reason has made sense to you? Or even both?

I am glad psioics is getting some love. It has had it's ups and downs.

P.S. for 25 years all the folks I play with have always cared about world building...luckily theres room for all of us.

Crothian

First Post
Oddly enough, having used psionics in the background lore of my campaign, since the 80's, I am worried that their explanation will overwhelm my information.

4e I think has done a nice job of giving us the background but not making it so critical that it can't be removed. The settings of 2e and some in 3e I felt did more of that. It wasn't hard to get rid of the extra material, just harder then I feel it is now.

But hopefully I can put a spin on it and make it mine. I really find your reaction very interesting. Is it because they (officially) worked it into the world, or is it because it is the first time a reason has made sense to you? Or even both?

The first and foremost with me is always the creativity of it. I like what they did. It is simple, works very well with the current cosmology, and does make sense.

P.S. for 25 years all the folks I play with have always cared about world building...luckily theres room for all of us.

The comment wasn't meant to be anything more then an observation. I've run into people who are one or the other and both. There is plenty of room for everyone at this gaming table :D

Kez Darksun

Explorer
Could you post some information on the Runepriest's fluff and how they differentiate themselves from the Cleric? Is the Runepriest successful in carving out its own place as a Divine Leader or does it step on the toes of the Str based Cleric?

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
The most interesting thing about the book and one I hadn't seen mentioned (though I easily could have missed it) is that for the first time I can recall psionics are actually given a good reason to be in the world of D&D. Before it always seemed like an add on that some people had. There was never any explanation on where the power came from. Some groups used it others did not. Some campaign settings tried to feature it but they never to my satisfaction really explained why it was there. It always seemed that the creators of some settings like psionics so they used them.

All right, what is the 4e reason for psionics to be in the world?

Crothian

First Post
Could you post some information on the Runepriest's fluff and how they differentiate themselves from the Cleric? Is the Runepriest successful in carving out its own place as a Divine Leader or does it step on the toes of the Str based Cleric?

The use and make runes to channel the abilities of gods. They have two states they can go in: One that has adjacent allies do more damage the other one adjacent allies take less damage. Strength is a very important stat for them (all 4 at wills use it) so they do get better use out of it. They don't heal as well as a cleric and don't have anything like the divine channeling.

Crothian

First Post
All right, what is the 4e reason for psionics to be in the world?

Buy the book and read it! :D

Sorry. :blush: It is in response to the first invasion of the Far Realm. Either it is energies from the Far Realm that has changed people or it is this realities response to the Far Realm and getting rid of it. There is a small theme of psionics defending the world against the threats of the Far Realm.

Dice4Hire

First Post
They are reality's white blood cells in the fight against the far realm infection

Or that is one I've heard bandied about in other sources.

fba827

Adventurer
As someone who does not have DDI, i never saw the preview material. But off hand, only two or three things actually interest me in the book (though I'll still get it as it may inspire things I wasn't even considering). But, having said that,

You've already shared a setting item that jumped out at you (i.e. psionic background), how about...

1) What's one class - flavor wise - that jumped out as you as interesting (be it for reasons of personal play style, background fluff, cinematic inspirational powers, stat mechanics, etc)

2) What's one race - flavor wise - that jumped out as you as interesting (be it for reasons of personal play style, background fluff, cinematic inspiration, stat mechanics, etc)?

3) At first glance (unless you had time to read through them), would you say the breakdown on feats is more useful to the new classes/races, or is there -healthy- mix of new feats useful to any PC (even those from previous PHBs). For comparison, PHB2 had about 15 feats that didn't have PHB2 races or classes as prereqs.

(i'm not asking for any detailed stats/etc just general impressions so no need to spend your time typing out lots like that).

Thanks in advance

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads