• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Got odor?

The Shaman

First Post
D20 provides us with the Spot and Listen skills, for picking out things by sight and sound - but what about sense of smell?

How do you handle characters picking up faint odors? How do you determine if they can identify the scent?

Sorry to disappoint anyone expecting a thread about gamer hygiene. :)

gizmo33

First Post
Maybe there should be a "smell" skill, like listen and spot. Rather than monsters just being able to smell anything within 30 ft automatically, they should make smell checks. DC is -2 for each 10 ft distance (like listen?) Modify for creature size (assume larger creatures smell more). Creatures within 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (RPGs) give the smeller a +4 on rolls. Smell replaces the tracking skill rolls.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Faint odors? depends upon where they are.

In a city, you've got to be kidding. Not over the stench of trash and sewage.

After days of dungeon crawling killing things? The party makes the city smell good.

Out in the woods I assume they notice the smell and then allow a check to identify it. What I use for the check depends upon what the smell is. Chemicals might need a craft: alchemy check, natural scents might be Survival.

ZombieButch

First Post
You could also handle it like Mutants & Masterminds or True20: wrap Spot and Listen up into a single skill, Notice, that can also cover smell & taste.

Eternalknight

First Post
palehorse said:
You could also handle it like Mutants & Masterminds or True20: wrap Spot and Listen up into a single skill, Notice, that can also cover smell & taste.

Lone Wolf by Mongoose does this as well, but calls it Perception. I plan on using it in every game from now on.

afreed

First Post
I wrote Scent skill rules for Denizens of Avadnu. Fairly basic, works very similarly to Spot and Listen. I'd recommend making it a ranger class skill and either giving it as a class skill to all half-orcs or giving half-orcs a +2 bonus to checks. The scent special quality grants a +10 bonus and the ability to track via scent without the Track feat.

If anyone's interested, I can try to post the skill entry later. (I'd encourage you to buy the book, or one of the Digital Denizens PDFs, but it's barely 1/4 of a page....)

Voadam

Legend
d20 Dragonlords of Melnibone had a skill smell I believe, but I stick with the binary system of the core and ad hoc it based on wether the creature has scent or if they don't and whether I think an odor should be apparent. (I would also consider wether the character is a gnome with their big gnoses. :))

Scent is simply part of a scene description, not a challenge check for mechanics.

DMH

First Post
Experts and Experts 3.5 both have Smell as a skill and Experts was panned for it in reviews. I think it would be nice to go the Gamma World 4th edition way and just add perception as an ability.

Remove ads