• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Got spycraft

Psion

Adventurer
Horacio said:
Can it be used for modern non-spy adventures?

Sadly (and my primary beef), I think it would be ill suited for it. The basic rules... action dice, firearms, etc., -- seem like thaty would support it, but PC generation is pretty strongly centered around members of an organization engaged in paramilatary and covert activities.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Psion said:

Sadly (and my primary beef), I think it would be ill suited for it. The basic rules... action dice, firearms, etc., -- seem like thaty would support it, but PC generation is pretty strongly centered around members of an organization engaged in paramilatary and covert activities.

Oh, what a pity :(
I wanted to use it for a modern fantasy campaign...

Triple H

First Post
Um guys its called SPYcraft for a reason. Now it CAN be used as a modern book. Just some of the skills and Role-playing will help with that. Modern Fantasy? No way. This is a realistic setting. The Shadowforce Archer setting is for psionics,mages,supersoldiers and stuff.

It is a modern spy game. The action dice gives it a superspy/movie feel. that even the computer hacker guy can get lucky. That kind of thing. What other problems have you guys had?

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
HEy, Triple H, I'm going to buy it, so take it easy ;)
But I had heard that it was going to have some mysticism and psionics, I hadn't understand Spycraft wasn't the same as Shadowforce Archer.

And now, I have a question, why did you delete your Spycraft post the last time?

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Psion said:

Psion said it couldn't be used very well for a modern fantasy game setting. I don't understand why not! It would take a little fixin' (and the Shadowforce Archer supplement withe the crazy psionics and bionics stuff in it possibly addresses some of these issues). A copy of Pulp Heroes or Shadowchasers from the last two Dungeon mags would also be helpful, as the races/departments are geared for spies. Spelljammer d20 (in the next Dungeon) or Dragonstar from FFG would also be useful resources. So, yes, it would take more work to try modern fantasy with *just* Spycraft and D&D, but it's not impossible.

Uh-oh, Psion! We're disagreeing again! :p

Psion

Adventurer
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
Psion said it couldn't be used very well for a modern fantasy game setting.

Actually I didn't, at least not precisely. In answer to the question about whether it supports non-spy modern games, I said that the character generation wouldn't SUPPORT it. So sure, you could USE it, but you would have to do your own work on character classes and so forth to make it fly.

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I've been giving some thought to using Spycraft for a monster hunting type modern game. I'm going to have them be a government agency so I think it'll work fairly well.

Triple H

First Post
I wasnt mad i was just wondering what you were expecting from a game called spycraft:) I deleted the info because it was irrevalent. I do hope everyone enjoys the book though.

To make it a modern game you can jsut wait for the book then make your own orgin. The classes are generic enough to support anyone.

Want to be knoledgeable with computers be the snoop. Want to have lots of differing skills and lead your group. be the pointman. Want to fight be the soldier. Want to drive be the wheelman. Serious with just the basic stuff it is real easy to run a modern game. BUT, it will take some work. Once i get the book I will review it here hopefully. Cant review the playtest stuff:) Cant compare and contrast either:)

Psion

Adventurer
Well, have read through it. I think the classes are a little more flexible than I thought at first blush, but they are still most appropriate for an action/triller/investigative type game. For other types of game, the focus of the classes might not be quite right. James Bond / MI type games are the obvious focus, but I could see Die Hard, XCom: UFO Defense, the Chronicle, the XFiles, the Saint, or your typical Clancy novel.

The thing it needs some most: some flavor text! Betcha never thought you would hear that from me! But really, it could have used some salemanship, a few snapshots of characters in a Spycraft game to get you into it.

But the editing looks impecable, the layout is very nice, and the action dice are an interesting addition to the d20 system. I'd like to see how it runs in play.

Triple H

First Post
Well both the GC and the players get action dice. Thing is. When you first play my group forgot completly about action dice. It was kind of funny. Another thing is the favor and inspiration checks. Those are actually more for the DM then for the players. Unless the players know they are missing something. Those two checks speed up the game if its stalling. Though I have found tey can really screw with an adventure:)

Ran a diehard kind of adventure and the group did a favor check and pretty much skipped three scenes:eek:

But all in all I really love the game system.

Hey Psion what did you think of the mastermind system?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads