• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grab a stirge and tear it off?

baradtgnome

First Post
maybe I just missed it looking through the books, but how would you as a DM handle this action?

Would you treat it as a grapple sort of? I would think that the Stirge would be harder to tear off than an opposed grapple check would indicate.

Dragongirl

First Post
Unless the stirge was willing to let go and move, would not grabbing something attached to your body be automatic? I mean, if a leach was on you, you could grap it (might slip because of the slime) but at least could get an automatic attack on it with a lighter.

Last edited:

baradtgnome

First Post
Well, that is what we were thinking. You could grab it, and then to tear it off with an opposed grapple check. Give the stirge a +2 circumstance bonus for being 'attached'. With the stirges small size and weak strength you have a pretty good chance of doing so, and maybe that is correct for a 1/2 CR monster.

I guess the real danger is multiple stirges.

Spindel

First Post
That sounds good. I wasn't sure how to handle it when the situation arose for me, so I just let them make attack rolls without any strength bonus ('tis hard/dangerous to swing a Bastard sword that close to your person).

I figure the stirge wouldn't get an AoO though, it's to busy going for a suck.

But then, stirges are always better in large groups!

Edit: Spelling corrections!

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
An attached stirges AC drops to 12, so you don't need any further changes. The real problem is that once you've grappled it, there are no real mechanics for tearing it off.
I'd suggest that once you pin the stirge, you can remove it, possibly for some hitpoint damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads