Grade The D6 System

How do you feel about The D6 System (any variant)?

• I love it.

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • It's pretty good.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • It's alright I guess.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • It's pretty bad.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I hate it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never played it.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • I've never even heard of it.

Votes: 4 4.1%

ThrorII

Adventurer
For 1e, I limit players to +1 pip per skill per adventure. And each adventure is supposed to be 7-10 skill points earned over an average of 2 sessions. So, as really the most a character will start with is 6D in one skill (4D attribute and 2D skill), it will take 12 adventures (24 sessions) to reach 10D in that skill if you were able to increase it by +1 pip each adventure. BUT, I'm not sure you'd want to or be able to dump ALL of your skill points just to raise your skill from 9D+1 to 9D+2, for example....

Celebrim

Legend
For 1e, I limit players to +1 pip per skill per adventure. And each adventure is supposed to be 7-10 skill points earned over an average of 2 sessions.

That sounds about right. I don't allow characters to raise a skill by more than one pip at a time either.

In general, I tend to award slightly less than 1 character point per hour of play. My adventures have been lasting about 4 sessions (16 hours) and I generally award 10-15 character points. If the adventure is longer, I break it down into chapters and award 3-5 character points every session or two, with a slightly larger award to finish. When spending character points after chapters, I insist the player only spend them on skills they actually used successfully in the chapter. Between adventures they can learn anything, but just one pip at a time.

As far as getting to 10D, in theory you could do it and almost certainly if you were trying to rush a skill up to 10D it would be dodge. And 10D of dodge would be really sweet, BUT...

1) You'd probably suck in a melee.
2) Nothing could touch you but you'd probably not be especially dangerous either.
3) You'd not be especially useful at anything else.

But as far as reaching main character status, it's not about getting 10D in a skill, but having like 9D or 10D in 9 different skills. That's like at least 240 sessions. Sure, if you are kids and you meet for 8 hours every weekend, that may well happen, but most groups are not going to that.

Vader and Palpatine though have like 9D or 10D in force attributes. Good luck with that.

aramis erak

Legend
That sounds about right. I don't allow characters to raise a skill by more than one pip at a time either.

In general, I tend to award slightly less than 1 character point per hour of play. My adventures have been lasting about 4 sessions (16 hours) and I generally award 10-15 character points. If the adventure is longer, I break it down into chapters and award 3-5 character points every session or two, with a slightly larger award to finish. When spending character points after chapters, I insist the player only spend them on skills they actually used successfully in the chapter. Between adventures they can learn anything, but just one pip at a time.

As far as getting to 10D, in theory you could do it and almost certainly if you were trying to rush a skill up to 10D it would be dodge. And 10D of dodge would be really sweet, BUT...

1) You'd probably suck in a melee.
2) Nothing could touch you but you'd probably not be especially dangerous either.
3) You'd not be especially useful at anything else.

But as far as reaching main character status, it's not about getting 10D in a skill, but having like 9D or 10D in 9 different skills. That's like at least 240 sessions. Sure, if you are kids and you meet for 8 hours every weekend, that may well happen, but most groups are not going to that.

Vader and Palpatine though have like 9D or 10D in force attributes. Good luck with that.
At the time, my friday game was 6 hours, and they were all into the 8 range on a bunch of things after 6 months or so... plus well over 10 force points each... it was to the point that I was allowing spending a force point and double XP to raise an attribute a pip... 2E allowed raising attributes (within racial limits) with naught but CP, but caps force points to 5 or 10 (Not Force Sensitive, force sensitive), with excess earned going to be 5 CP...

Also note: several of the published adventures gave more than book rate CP.

Remove ads