Graphic Design and the Aesthetics of Tabletop RPGs

reaglesham

Villager
I'm afraid you just lost me as a potential customer. I'm partially sighted, and white text on a back page is a hard no. One of the reasons I never really got into D&D3e was the "atmospheric" page backgrounds, which made reading the text unnecessarily hard.
I'm very conscious of this, it's a definite consideration. The game does come with a black text on white plain text PDF version with uniform sans serif text (and a print-friendly PDF) as I ended up making one of these at the launch of my previous game when some players got in touch about accessibility. I understand it's not quite the same experience as reading the full thing, but I always want to keep the game accessible!

The game does come with a black text on white plain text PDF version with uniform sans serif text (and a print-friendly PDF) as I ended up making one of these at the launch of my previous game when some players got in touch about accessibility.
That's good, but serifed text is usually more readable to limited vision.

aramis erak

Legend
Ah I see, I've had people say some serif fonts were too tough to parse. How do you feel about fonts like Courier?
Monospace fonts are harder to read than proportional, as a general rule.
Courier's serifs are problematic for me, more so than most serif fonts and many other monospace fonts.

Comic Sans is hard for many, but has advantages (almost accidental) for many dyslexics.
Many dyslexics have issues with serif fonts; sans serifs are a problem for most non-dyslexics

The easiest to read across the population are properly proportioned semi-serif fonts with monodirectional serifs and consistent heavy-side vs light-side on the hollows, so that the p and q are visually distinct, as are the b vs d. And similar situations.

See, a lot of word recognition is shape - which is why modern spelling programs use shaped boxes for study - students match the words to their shapes, filling in the letters. Many sight words are recognized by shape and position. Any font that compromises that reduces intelligibility.

Remove ads