• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grapple question

3d6

Explorer
Is the list of actions in the grapple section a list of all actions you can perform in a grapple, or are those actions in addition to the actions a character can normally take in combat? For example, is is possible to disarm another character's weapon in a grapple?

Vegepygmy

First Post
3d6 said:
Is the list of actions in the grapple section a list of all actions you can perform in a grapple, or are those actions in addition to the actions a character can normally take in combat?
They are actions that are subject to special rules when grappling. They are not an exhaustive list of all possible actions you can perform while grappling. For example, speaking is not listed, but it's clear from the "If You're Pinning an Opponent" text that you can normally speak while grappling.

3d6 said:
For example, is is possible to disarm another character's weapon in a grapple?
Sure, but that would just be an "Attack Your Opponent" action (which is one of the listed actions).

Infiniti2000

First Post
3d6 said:
Is the list of actions in the grapple section a list of all actions you can perform in a grapple,...
Yes, although there might be some minor exceptions like speaking, as Veggie pointed out.

3d6 said:
...or are those actions in addition to the actions a character can normally take in combat?
This is definitely not true. If it were, then most combatants would not use the grapple rules. In other words, why use the "Attack an Opponent" option and take -4 on attacks and be very limited by what weapons I can use when I could just take an action I "can normally take in combat", like swinging my greataxe at no penalty for a full attack? Obviously, that's not allowed and unless you intend to argue that it is allowed, then the actions listed are exhaustive.

3d6 said:
For example, is is possible to disarm another character's weapon in a grapple?
Sure, but you need to pin him first. But, no tripping apparently (which is silly not to allow quite frankly).

3d6

Explorer
What does pinning have to do with disarming a character of a weapon? The pin rules state "you can use a disarm action to remove or grab away a well secured object worn by a pinned opponent, but he gets a +4 bonus on his roll to resist your attempt". There's no mention of disarming an opponent of a poorly secured object or a weapon. If you can do it at all, either grapple does not have an exhaustive list, or you can use the "attack your opponent" option to disarm. In either case, trip is as allowable as disarm is.

Infiniti2000

First Post
3d6 said:
The pin rules state "you can use a disarm action to remove or grab away a well secured object worn by a pinned opponent, but he gets a +4 bonus on his roll to resist your attempt". There's no mention of disarming an opponent of a poorly secured object or a weapon.
So, disallow the easier condition when a more difficult condition is handled? I can see your point, I just don't agree with it. For example, a speed 30 means you can up to 30ft, it does not require you to move the whole 30ft.

If you want to consider allowing any other combat option, which is a reasonable choice, I refer you to the RotG articles.

Remove ads