• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grapple, Weapon Focus, and armor spikes

3d6

Explorer
Grapple says that "a grapple check is like a melee attack roll", that you have an "attack bonus" on a grapple check, and thatthe special grapple size modifier is used "in place of the normal size modifier you use when making an attack roll".

Weapon Focus says that "you gain a +1 bonus on all attack rolls you make using the selected weapon".

The FAQ says that "when grappling, you can damage your foe with your [armor] spikes by making a regular grapple check".

My question is, if I have Weapon Focus (armor spikes) and I'm making a grapple check with said armor spikes, do I get a +1 bonus on my grapple check from the Weapon Focus feat? Grapple seems to dance around the point; it keeps implying that a grapple check is a melee attack roll, but never says it outright.

Last edited:

Legildur

First Post
I would be inclined to say no. The Weapon Focus (armor spikes) would add to attack rolls where you would (most likely) be using the spikes as an off-hand weapon. If you wanted to use the spikes to attack your grappling opponent (with a -4 attack penalty, PHB p156) which would then allow you to use the feat (for a net -3 attack penalty).

Compare it with Weapon Focus (grapple) which (I believe, much to my dismay) adds to the touch attack to initiate a grapple and not the subsequent grapple checks.

kjenks

First Post
Legildur has it right. The Main 3.5e FAQ now has two entries which basically agree and only one which contradicts this.

However, if your campaign does not use the FAQ as gospel, this does contradict the PH, as 3d6 observed.

3d6

Explorer
The FAQ is an interesting place when it comes to grapple checks.
A grapple check isn’t an attack roll, so you can’t use Combat Expertise or Power Attack in conjunction with it.
The touch attack made to start a grapple is an attack roll (so the bonus would apply to this roll), but a grapple check is not an attack roll, and thus the bonus wouldn’t apply to the grapple check.
Despite its similarity, a grapple check is not an attack roll, and thus can’t score a critical hit (nor does it automatically succeed on a natural 20 or fail on a natural 1).
If the grab succeeds, Bob is still prone and still suffers the –4 penalty for being prone for the ensuing opposed grapple check.
One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong.

Ditch

First Post
Assuming no AOO, you make a touch attack to initiate the grapple and then roll a grapple check? If this is accurate then there are 2 rolls with 2 different mechanics and some bonuses would apply independently.

... else, I'm confused, which is entirely possible. :uhoh:

dhaga

First Post
Yes, 2 separate rolls.
1st roll: touch attack (or other attack) which provokes an AoO (unless you have Improved Grab)
2nd roll: opposed grapple checks with your opponent, to determine if the grapple takes hold

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads