• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grappling a ghost...

Dwarmaj

First Post
If you have the Ghost Touch enchantment on a pair of guantlets, could you grapple a ghost? How about if you also had ghost touch armor or bracers of armor?

mikebr99

Explorer
Dwarmaj said:
If you have the Ghost Touch enchantment on a pair of guantlets, could you grapple a ghost? How about if you also had ghost touch armor or bracers of armor?
Sure... you are just begging for all the ghost's special attacks however.
YMMV

Mike

UltimaGabe

First Post
Dwarmaj said:

Well, I don't think just making Ghost Touch gauntlets would allow you to grapple a ghost- after all, I see grappling as using your entire body, which would be a possible house-rule if you were also wearing Bracers of Armor. However, wasn't there a Specific Magic Gauntlet in the Arms & Equipment guide that allowed you to grapple incorporeal foes?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Dwarmaj said:
Nope. Incorporeal creatures cannot be grappled, period.

Last edited:

nameless

First Post
Caliban said:
Nope. Incorporeal creatures cannot be grappled, period.

What about a Bigby's Grasping/Crushing Hand? Force effects explicitly ignore the advantages of incorporeality, I believe those (at least) should be sufficient.

The only thing I'd have to debate is whether the effective grapple check is with a 0 strength modifier, a -5 strength modifier, or automatically fails. By the letter of the rules, I think it's a 0 strength modifier.

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
I would allow it, but every roll you make (touch attack to start a grapple, then every grapple check) has a 50% miss chance. As soon as you fail one of those, you are prone in the square (the ghost floated up through you).

I wouldn't allow gauntlets to effect this (well, maybe the touch attack). It seems an interesting argument to me about a force effect that surrounds your body (bracers of armor?).

Hmmmm....

-Tatsu

Caliban

Rules Monkey
nameless said:
What about a Bigby's Grasping/Crushing Hand? Force effects explicitly ignore the advantages of incorporeality, I believe those (at least) should be sufficient.

The only thing I'd have to debate is whether the effective grapple check is with a 0 strength modifier, a -5 strength modifier, or automatically fails. By the letter of the rules, I think it's a 0 strength modifier.
No "what about's". By the core rules, incorporeal creatures simply cannot be grappled. (It specifically states this in the Incorporeal entry in the DMG.)

Effectively they "flow" around anything that tries to grab them, even if it is a ghost touch net or force effect hand. They can only be contained by force effects that completely encases them (such as Otiluke's Resilient Sphere).

Last edited:

Caliban got it right.

The relevant SRD text:
Incorporeal creatures cannot make trip or grapple attacks, nor can they be tripped or grappled. In fact, they cannot take any physical action that would move or manipulate an opponent or its equipment, nor are they subject to such actions.

Dwarmaj

First Post
True, Ghosts can't be grappled by material opponants, but they can be grappled by other incorporeal creatures. Force effects such as Bigby's hands should also be able to grapple them since force effects affect incorpoeal creatures normally.

Although bracers of armor do generate a force effect, I wouldn't allow someone wearing them to punch or otherwise affect an incorporeal creature, so I don't think it would help in a grapple.

Ghost Touch weapons on the other hand do affect incorporeal creatures normaly and should be allowed to be used to grapple a ghost. At the very least the wearer should have the -20 penalty with only grappling with part of it's body. Maybe it's a house rule, but it make sense (at least to me... ;) )

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Dwarmaj said:
True, Ghosts can't be grappled by material opponants, but they can be grappled by other incorporeal creatures.
No, they can't. Read the rules.

Force effects such as Bigby's hands should also be able to grapple them since force effects affect incorpoeal creatures normally.
No, they can't.

Although bracers of armor do generate a force effect, I wouldn't allow someone wearing them to punch or otherwise affect an incorporeal creature, so I don't think it would help in a grapple.

Ghost Touch weapons on the other hand do affect incorporeal creatures normaly and should be allowed to be used to grapple a ghost. At the very least the wearer should have the -20 penalty with only grappling with part of it's body. Maybe it's a house rule, but it make sense (at least to me... ;) )
And the answer is still no, unless you can find an actual rules citation to support your position. Until you do, the rules are very clear on this matter. Incorporeal creatures cannot be grappled in any way, shape, or form.

Remove ads