• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grappling and Flying

Slobber Monster

First Post
...or "What is the air-speed velocity of a grappling Gargoyle?"

It seems to me that a gargoyle should be able to grab a halfling commoner and fly off with him. It shouldn't be guaranteed, with the halfling struggling and all, but it should be possible, right? However, in looking into the rules it seems that the gargoyle cannot gain any altitude once it grabs the halfling.

First off, a gargoyle has strength 15 (66 lbs or less for a light load), and a halfling weighs about 40 lbs, so the gargoyle can certainly fly around while clutching a dead halfling. However, once the grappling rules come into play things get a bit murkier for me. Assuming that the gargoyle succeeds in its touch attack and an opposed grapple check, it may move as per the SRD:

Move: You can move half your speed (bringing all others engaged in the grapple with you) by winning an opposed grapple check. This requires a standard action, and you must beat all the other individual check results to move the grapple.

Since it takes a standard action to do this, I take it the grappler can only take a single move in the round at half speed? (The gargoyle would still have a move action left, but cannot use it for movement since it is involved in a grapple, but may use it for some other move action such as drawing a weapon). So the gargoyle would be able to fly off with the halfling at a rate of 30' per round (1/2 fly speed of 60').

However, the gargoyle only has average maneuverability, and so must move at least half its fly speed every round or go into a stall. So this means the gargoyle cannot gain any altitude while grappling, since it must move horizontally for all 30' every round! It doesn't even matter how strong the gargoyle is, since its strength never comes into play - only the 1/2 speed for grapple vs the 1/2 speed to avoid stalling.

There are a couple of ways I see where I could be interpreting this wrong. The one that seems most likely to me is that the stall speed is figured after reducing the gargoyle's speed for grappling - i.e. the gargoyle must move at least 15' horizontally. That would mean the gargoyle could climb at a 45 degree angle so long as it wins opposed grapple checks.

The other (less likely) possibility I see is that I'm reading the grappling rules wrong, and that the grappler can really double-move at half speed, in effect taking one normal single move. So in this case the gargoyle could fly 60' in a round, and thus climb up at a 45 degree angle.

If the rules really do make it impossible for a medium-sized, average-maneuverability creature to fly off with a small one, then I'll probably just house-rule it.

Slobber Monster

First Post
The Snatch feat is only available to size Huge or larger creatures. Improved Grab would let the gargoyle get ahold of the hafling with a normal claw attack, but doesn't help with the whole issue of taking off and carrying him along.

If a gargoyle is strong enough to fly around with a dead hafling, shouldn't it at least have a chance to do so with a live one?

Slobber Monster said:
The Snatch feat is only available to size Huge or larger creatures. Improved Grab would let the gargoyle get ahold of the hafling with a normal claw attack, but doesn't help with the whole issue of taking off and carrying him along.

Actually, it helps alot.

If you have the Improved Grab feat, you can make your Grapple check at -20 to not be considered grappled. Once you've done that, you can move normally - including, in this case, flying.

If a gargoyle is strong enough to fly around with a dead hafling, shouldn't it at least have a chance to do so with a live one?

Not without special training. It's assumed you use your entire body when grappling, and in this case, it means wrapping those wings around your target. If want to grapple with less than your whole body, you need special training - the Improved Grab feat.

Alternatively, I generally let most things - even those without the Improved Grab feat - take the -20 penalty to act normally.

Slobber Monster said:
So I take it you agree with my original reading of the rules then - the gargoyle can move the grapple 30' per round, but may not gain any altitude?

Not with a struggling halfling grabbing, pulling, and twisting on any available surface.

Slobber Monster

First Post
This means that an eagle (size small) cannot take off with a fish (diminutive) unless it kills it first, or you give the eagle Improved Grab.

Feh.

I think I'm going to house rule this one.

Slobber Monster said:
This means that an eagle (size small) cannot take off with a fish (diminutive) unless it kills it first, or you give the eagle Improved Grab.

Is that such a bad thing? I mean, there are generally two ways I've seen birds of prey hunt fish. One of them is an actual dive into the water, followed by a "wet" take-off, and the other is a swoop along the surface, a grab, and a fly away.

Either of these can be simulated in the rules, currently. Since I believe you want the second one, I'll explain that.

Eagle's turn: Fly down to water's surface as a move action. Attack fish.

Normal fish have, like, 1 hit point.

Eagles do 1d4 damage on a normal attack. Generally, that means a disabled and dying fish after an eagle strike. It isn't dead, but it's not struggling any more, either.

Fish's turn: Unconscious. No action.

Eagle's turn: Pick up fish as move action. Fly away - climbing at 1/2 speed.

Now, if you want to use my house rule, anyone can take advantage of the -20 on grapple checks rule.

Fish have a Stregth score, of, what, 1? 2? And a BAB of 0? So they're at -4 + 0 -12 (size Diminutive) = -16 on grapple checks.

Eagles, on the other hand, are at +0 +0 -4 (Size) = -4 on grapple checks. Taking the -20 penalty, they're at -24. This results in a win percantage of just under 20% for the eagle. Is that realistic? Seems pretty reasonable.

I think I'm going to house rule this one.

To what?

Slobber Monster

First Post
I might just go with the improved grab rule. I don't mind if it's hard to fly away with a struggling opponent, it just shouldn't be impossible based solely on maneuverability.

Remove ads