• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grappling & Mind Flayers

Archade

Azer Paladin
Okay, we all know what kind of mind flayer issues we've had in the past with 3.0. With the revision, it's a lot clearer.

Now my situation is this:

Round 1: Mind flayer gets a tentacle on the Paladin

Round 2: Mind flayer gets all tentacles on Paladin. Monk PC enters grapple to assist. She successfully grapples and pins the Mind Flayer.

Round 3: Is the mind flayer prevented from extracting the Paladin's brain, as long as it is pinned?

Thanks!

Mal-2

First Post
From the 3.5 SRD
If You?re Pinned by an Opponent

When an opponent has pinned you, you are held immobile (but not helpless) for 1 round. While you?re pinned, you take a ?4 penalty to your AC against opponents other than the one pinning you. At your opponent?s option, you may also be unable to speak. On your turn, you can try to escape the pin by making an opposed grapple check in place of an attack. You can make an Escape Artist check in place of your grapple check if you want, but this requires a standard action. If you win, you escape the pin, but you?re still grappling

I don't think the mind flayer would be allowed to extract the paladin's brain while it's pinned. The SRD doesn't go into any detail about how pinning and multiple grapplers interact, so I'm not sure how you would handle the Paladin attempting to escape the grapple of a pinned mind flayer. I'd be inclined to give him a +4 to his grapple check to escape while the mind flayer is pinned.

Mal-2

Henrix

Explorer
Everything is true, Mal-2

When you're pinned there is just about one thing you can do, escape the pinning. So, no brain suckling for Mr. Spaghettiface.

Archade

Azer Paladin
That's what I ruled off the cuff, and the Paladin ultimately survived. Now, that's the last time he decides to charge a Mind Flayer ...

PALADIN: By Tyr, feel my wrath!
MIND FLAYER: My lunch has been delivered ...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads