• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grappling with Natural Weapons

Janos Antero

First Post
Grappling with natural weapons, specifically a werewolverine with natural claw attacks engaged in a grapple.

1. Do they make regular grapple checks to deal real damage with the claw attack? Are they then able to make itinerant claw attacks? If they are not, how do you handle a claw claw bite routine in regards to attacking in a grapple?

2. When attacking with a light weapon in a grapple, is an additional attack roll required? Is a grapple check (after the first check to establish teh grapple) required?

3. When attempting to do an unarmed strike in a grapple, is an attack roll required? If no attack roll is required, doesn't this rather heavily penalize finessed monks?

I've read the PHB about Grappling, and the grapple clarifications off SKR's site, but both left me with more issues than real help. Thanks!

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
Using natural weapons (claw, bite, fist, etc) requires not a grapple check, but a regular attack roll. You do not get iterative attacks with natural weapons, although you can still carry out the creature's normal full attack routine. You also do not get itinerant claw attacks, unless you pay good wages.

If you use a "real" weapon (dagger, knife) requires a grapple check, but not a regular attack roll.

Janos Antero

First Post
SRD:
When a character is grappling (regardless of who started the grapple), the character can make an opposed grapple check as an attack. If the character wins, the character can do the following:

Damage A character's Opponent: A character deals damage as with an unarmed strike (1d3 points for Medium-size attackers or 1d2 points for Small attackers, plus Strength modifiers). If a character wants to deal normal damage, the character suffers a -4 penalty on the grapple check. Exception: Monks deal more damage on an unarmed strike than other characters, and the damage is normal. However, they can choose to deal their damage as subdual damage when grappling without paying the usual -4 penalty for changing normal damage to subdual damage.

So what happens when a creature with natural attacks takes this option while grappling? Can it take this option? Is it still a normal attack roll then?

Last edited:

AEtherfyre

First Post
You can use light weapons normally while grappling. If I'm not mistaken, all natural attacks count as light weapons for grappling purposes. That answer your question?

Janos Antero

First Post
That was how we handled it too, but I wasn't sure if we were right. And the attack roll issue was fuzzy. Thanks to you both for that part.

God I hope 3.5 clears grapple up.

Remove ads