• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Graze on a miss questions

Rejuvenator

Explorer
Can someone please recap:
  • what the various opinions from the community about graze on a miss?
  • what is the in-fiction story that connects to the graze on a miss mechanic?
  • what is the in-fiction story behind the rule that "this damage is the same type dealt by the weapon"?

When I read the playtest packet, the closest approximation that came to me is the genre cliche of the big warrior who makes massive swings with a greatsword. The cliche is usually that the big sword fighter is slow and often misses their opponent, but if they do hit, the blow is devasting. The dextrous opponent may keep evading the swings but might get hit by the flat of the blade or the hilt of the sword or a kick or a punch. However, since the miss damage on a greatsword is slashing damage (and not say bludgeoning), to me the rule doesn't fit that genre cliche particularly well.

Rejuvenator

Explorer
To start with, it's only on the greatsword and glaive. And only for people who have mastered the weapon.
Yep!
So I expect that your swing is just too big to completely dodge. Or that even if you block it, the sock goes though your arm.

Honestly, it makes more sense than being pushed back 10', or creating fireballs.
Myself, I don't frame the liking or disliking of this rule through the lens of "whataboutism". Trying to understand the in-fiction aspect for the rule. For example, trying to wrap my head around the Dex 20 rogue cannot "completely dodge" the slashing damage of the Dex 6 fighter who mastered the greatsword. (If it could be like morale-type damage, that feels more on-genre to me, but the specific rule exactly as is confuses me.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads