• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grease questions

parinho7

First Post
When the party was facing a Golem, a creature he was largely incapable of affecting
Grease. Seriously, Grease.
I took that from the "Running my first specialty mage" thread. I read the description of the spell and I take that the dm defines the DC for the reflex save. I this correct? Is there any table in the dmg for such circumstance? It seems very unfair to me because if the dm wants to screw you he can set the DC very low.

Last edited:

xigbar

Explorer
I took that from the "Running my first specialty mage" thread. I read the description of the spell and I take that the dm defines the DC for the reflex save. I this correct? Is there any table in the dmg for such circumstance? It seems very unfair to me because if the dm wants to screw you he can set the DC very low.

If it gets to that point, then the DC is as per usual for a spell of that level, pending on the casting stat. Remmeber that you need a certain number of ranks in Balance to not be flat-footed, I believe.

domino

First Post
Barring any other DC raising goodies, the spell DC is 10+ spell level + Casting Stat Modifier (whatever that would be).

A Wizard with 18 Int casting grease would be 10 + 1 + 4 for a total of DC 15.

Dandu

First Post
Also, it's a DC 10 Balance check to move off of the Greased area. Golems typically have no ranks in balance or much dexterity, so it works about as well as you'd expect.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Separate question: Am I right in thinking that Grease + Shape Spell:Line +unlevel ground=Toboggan run? :)

It's remarkable how few level surfaces there are in dungeons <smirk>

Sekhmet

First Post
Should also be noted that even if he miraculously makes his save, he's still slowed to 50% speed.
Grease is my favourite level 1 spell.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Here's a question: Opponent A is making a Charge attack, unaware that there is an area of Grease in his path.

The Greased area cuts his speed by half for that distance, but since he was unaware until his feet hit it, does he automatically slow down, in defiance not only of the laws of momentum but of cartoon physics as well? (Remember, under the rules of cartoon physics, he should actually accelerate out of control when he hits the Grease. :) ) Does he suffer some penalty on the Save? Does he get a Save at all (meaning an automatic fall)?

Also, while the spell says that it requires you to move at half speed, it doesn't actually say that the area counts as "difficult terrain". With that thought in mind, presuming the appropriate Saves and Balance checks, does the Charge come through anyway?

(Personally, I'm a big fan of cartoon physics.)

Empirate

First Post
I can only answer part of that:

SRD said:
Accelerated Movement

You can try to walk across a precarious surface more quickly than normal. If you accept a -5 penalty, you can move your full speed as a move action. (Moving twice your speed in a round requires two Balance checks, one for each move action used.) You may also accept this penalty in order to charge across a precarious surface; charging requires one Balance check for each multiple of your speed (or fraction thereof) that you charge.

So it seems that a Barbarian charging the full distance he may charge (x2 movement) must not make 1, but 2 balance checks to go through a greased square, and these checks are made at -5.
Failing one of these checks by 5 or more means the Barb falls down. Failing one check by 4 or less stops the Barbarian cold... which is kinda strange visually, but that's the way it works. Maybe he just catches his fall on his axe or something, anchoring it in the ground or whatever? Up to the player/DM to describe.

Remove ads