• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Great DM, crappy friend vs. good friend, crappy DM

coyote6

Adventurer
How long does it take to visit someone in the hospital. An hour or two with travel? [/SIZE][/FONT]

"Gary"? ;)

Seriously, if the person in the hospital is in Ohio, and the person visiting is in Oregon, it takes a bit longer than an hour or two. I know plenty of people who live hundreds or thousands of miles from their siblings. The OP said the visiting person "went home" -- IME, people say "went home to visit" when "home" is some distance away. I assumed that meant the player got in a car or in a plane and took a trip. Add in anguish and worry, and I can totally see missing a game session.

Also, part of the visiting is not just seeing the injured person; it's seeing the people around them. You might spend 15 minutes in an ICU, and hours with the spouse/significant other, parents, kids, etc.

--

Meanwhile, back at the point of the thread . . . Maybe 4e or whatever game Ted is GMing isn't the best game for him to run? Do you guys every play other RPGs? Maybe give something else a try, as a one-shot or short mini-campaign/extended adventure.

How long does it take to visit someone in the hospital. An hour or two with travel? And then go see her the next day and the next. I would not ditch a whole day's gaming. The doctor can take better care of her than I can, and my mother can imagine horrible consequences more easily. If I were in the hospital and my friend told me, "Hey. I skipped my D&D to visit you." I woudl tell him, "Moron. Do I look like I was going anywhere?" Call my alignment Neutral Gamer.

I have been visiting the EN World forums for over 7 years now and I have to say that this post has given me the biggest ever double take by far. I had to read it a couple of times just to make sure I was reading it correctly. I was just blown away by your comments.

I see that you are from Korea, so maybe there is a slightly different culture over there. Either that or you're joking/trolling (a fair possibility).

I really hope that you are joking/trolling because, as much as I am in to gaming, if one of my loved ones was involved in a serious car accident it certainly wouldn't be as simple as me visiting them for an hour and then just going on with my life as if nothing had happened.

Perspective is a wonderful thing sometimes.

Olaf the Stout

vagabundo

Adventurer
It is everyone's responsibility to help with running a great game. You guys got spoiled by a OCD gm, but now it is time for all of you all to step up and help Ted make a great game.

Feedback, world prep, character backgrounds can all help. Since you seem to have the most experience you could co-DM and still play.

F******* Garry - was it Garry - but as a matter of pride I would not go back to him for being such a d*** wad...

OakwoodDM

First Post
If you're looking for a specific adventure series for Ted to run, there's always ENWorld's own War of the Burning Sky. Depending on how quickly you progress through games, you might even be able to rely on the Community Supporter trickle feed of the adventures.

Now, I haven't played the series myself, but it's written and edited by some of the best in the business, and I plan to run it if I can convince my friends to start a new campaign from scratch.

Remove ads