• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Great Hero Showdown Round 4 (Voting Closed)

Kaledor

First Post
1. Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones movies)
2. Batman (Batman comics, Batman movies)
4. Captain James T. Kirk (Star Trek)
5. King Arthur (mythology, various novels)
6. Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)
7. Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer
8. Spider-Man (comics, movies, TV shows)

In #2, I'd a voted for ANYONE over Odysseus, it wrong that he's even in here still. There's no way he loses to Supes. I'm not even a big fan of Superman, and I can say that guy is the Ultimate Hero... And I didn't like either "hero" in #3. I've never thought that Gandolf was a hero and I don't want to see Holms keep going.

...Now, #6 nearly killed me. It was a tough pick. Luke is a great hero in the movies... he's got so many classic hero elements, But then Sam is the hero from LotR. They've actually very similar to each other... in the end, I went with my gut and the one hero that influenced me more since childhood... But I'll be happy with either choice.

Klaus

First Post
1. Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones movies) - Conan shouldn't have made it this far. He's a great character, just not a hero.
2. Batman (Batman comics, Batman movies) - I'd rather have Superman here than Batman. Odysseus never does anything 'heroic', and loses all of his crew in the process. Real smart, dude! So I'm voting for Batman. Not the revenge-obsessed paranoid maniac that has been impersonating him for the past 10 years, but rather the hero that sacrifices his entire life and any chance of happiness for an uphill battle to make his hometown a better place.
3. -
4. - The Hulk shouldn't even have made it past the 1st round, but Kirk does nothing for me.
5. King Arthur (mythology, various novels)
6. Luke Skywalker (Star Wars) - Sorry, Sam, but I grew up with Luke.
7. Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) - Buffy takes the cake. She's a prime example of a female hero (too few of those around). Han, although cool, is less heroic.

MonsterMash

First Post
1. Conan the Cimmerian (Robert Howard's novels, Conan movies)
2. Odysseus (mythology)
3. Sherlock Holmes
5. Robin Hood (mythology, movies)
6. Samwise Gamgee (Lord of the Rings)
7. Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
8. James Bond (movies, Ian Fleming's stories)

Very tough choices, especially Robin Hood versus King Arthur and Spiderman vs Bond

Kelleris

Explorer
Klaus said:
2. Batman (Batman comics, Batman movies) - I'd rather have Superman here than Batman. Odysseus never does anything 'heroic', and loses all of his crew in the process. Real smart, dude! So I'm voting for Batman. Not the revenge-obsessed paranoid maniac that has been impersonating him for the past 10 years, but rather the hero that sacrifices his entire life and any chance of happiness for an uphill battle to make his hometown a better place.

Now let's be fair here - Odysseus lost his crew because they were idiots.

"Hey, here's a great idea - let's eat the sacred cattle of Helios! They look meaty, and it's not like the sun god will be paying attention to his property in the middle of the day like this!"

"Ooh, I know, let's open this mysterious bag that our captain told us never to open under any circumstances and that seems to have calmed the seas for us. I bet it's full of shiny things!"

Morons. It's pretty darn heroic that Odysseus made it home at all while surrounded by that kind of incompetence. :D

stevelabny

Explorer
1. Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones movies)
2. Batman (Batman comics, Batman movies)
3. Sherlock Holmes
5. Robin Hood (mythology, movies)
6. Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)
7. Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

kitoy

Explorer
1. Conan the Cimmerian
2. Batman
3. Gandalf the Grey
4. The Hulk
5. King Arthur
6. Luke Skywalker
7. Buffy Summers
8. Spider-Man

argo

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
1. Conan the Cimmerian (Robert Howard's novels, Conan movies) versus Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones movies)
Damn you for presenting this matchup. :mad: ;) Ok, fine. We know that Indy can't take Conan in a straight fight. Just witness what happened when he fought the big dude on the airstrip in Raiders. Which brings us to how he might potentially win against the cimmerian, by evading some environmental factor that Conan doesn't. Except that Conan is nearly as good at dodging traps and the like as Indy.
Winner: Conan

2. Batman (Batman comics, Batman movies) versus Odysseus (mythology)
You know, I've always felt that there was more than a little bit of Odysseus in Batman to begin with. Physically and mentally this is a good matchup but I figgure that the bat-tech gives Batman the edge.
Winner: Batman.

3. Sherlock Holmes versus Gandalf the Grey
The two would have a sit-down over tea and discuss why they are here in the first place. The winner would be the one who could convince the other that his motivations are more pressing and/or the general good could be better served by the other fellow bowing out. Since Gandalf is pre-disposed to letting mortals handle world affairs in the first place he is at a disadvantage.
Winner: Holmes.

4. Captain James T. Kirk (Star Trek) versus The Hulk
First Kirk would dramatically rip his shirt to expose his manly chest. Then the Hulk would dramatically rip his clothes and ... :uhoh:
HULK SMASH!!!!

5. Robin Hood (mythology, movies) versus King Arthur (mythology, various novels)
I like Robin better. He peppers Arthur with arrows from ambush and laughs all the way home.

6. Luke Skywalker (Star Wars) versus Samwise Gamgee (Lord of the Rings)
Oh, come on.
Winner: Luke.

7. Buffy Summers (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) versus Han Solo (Star Wars)
Han shoots first.
Winner: Han

8. Spider-Man (comics, movies, TV shows) versus James Bond (movies, Ian Fleming's stories)
Another tough one. Uh, I'm a bigger Bond fan-boy so I vote that 007 wins by virtue of some unpredictable gadget.
Winner: beautiful (but dangerous) women everwyhere :cool:

The Serge

First Post
1. Indiana Jones
2. Batman
3. Gandalf the Grey (Christ-figure wins all the time)
4. Captain James T. Kirk
5. King Arthur (Christ-figure wins all the time)
6. Samwise Gamgee (Christ-figure wins all the time)
7. Han Solo
8. Spider-Man (everyman trumps)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads