• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Great ideas you did (or wished you had done) for your first game?

Admiral Caine

First Post
I've been a slow convert to 4E, but I'm there now. I'm ready and excited to run my first game of it.

My players have been slower converts, being d20 fans, and feeling burned by the marketing... But they've come around now too. They've looked at the books and started talking, looking past all the naysaying and are pretty encouraged and excited to try the game now. They've heard all about what is wrong with 4E, but now they see things that they like about it. A few have purchased PHBs when they swore they never would.

In about 3 weeks, we're jumping and playing this game.. at least for an open minded and optimistic trial run.

As GM.. I'd like it to go well. As well as it can anyway.

My question -

What techniques or suggestions would you offer for the first session?

What would you have done?

In my case, these guys aren't rookies.. they're regular role-players are are pretty savy, but they've never played 4E in their life, and they've had 3 weeks to look at the rules. They're pretty familiar with Star Wars Saga.

evilbob

Explorer
I don't have any specific "great ideas," but I will say that I have run the short adventure in the back of the DMG like 5 times now, and every time the players really enjoyed the session. It's super-light on RP, but it is easy (until the end) which lets them get to know their powers and trounce some guys, and then it's hard at the end and gives them a real challenge. Just be generous with allowing people to take rests and extended rests so they can try things out several times. But I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know.

Otherwise, general GM advice works well: use cards or a whiteboard or something for initiative to keep battles moving quickly, make sure no one "calculates each time" but instead has all their stuff written down and pre-calculated, encourage folks to roll attack and damage at the same time, etc. One negative thing you tend to hit more often with 4.0 is that battles can be slow sometimes (especially against solos), so anything to speed them up is good.

I just read in another thread the idea of using poker chips (or maybe something slightly smaller) as props, and I think it's awesome. Use red chips placed under minis to indicated bloodied, use a different color for marks, use another color for conditions, etc. Great idea, keeps things fast and easy to see.

And of course, don't be afraid to adjust things on the fly in the name of fun. But again, I'm sure you know stuff like that.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Get everyone to get power cards sorted out with all the math on - much easier than trying to just work stuff out as they go along.

That's the big one, for me. If the players have their powers worked out ahead of time the game flows much more easily - although it's also worth reminding them (possibly by giving them another card) that "Do something cool and awesome using your skills" is a valid option if you look on pg 42 of the DMG.

Admiral Caine

First Post
Yeah.. we have a dry-erase initiative tracking system.. mini's.. and battlemats.

I saw a pretty good resource where someone made a mat that could be laid over character sheets with the most basic values pre-calculated.

I might try to sell them on trying Power Cards, at least for the first session. I got one guy who swears he doesn't need them, but he's slow to figure out what he's doing when we play 3.5 (I love him, but it drives me nuts).

Admiral Caine

First Post
I'm also a DDI subscriber, so I've been encouraging them to try the Character Builder as a tool to build their 1st level characters.. and to experiment with builds for a few weeks.

cjais

First Post
For conditions, status effects, marks etc., I use both colored pipe cleaners twisted into little rings that you can hang on minis, as well as colored Warhammer bases to put under the minis. Between these two aids, it's really easy to just hang a "bloodied" or "quarry" pipe cleaner on a mini, or slide a "slowed" base under it. My pipe cleaners come in 7 different colors, and as I paint the edge of the Warhammer bases myself, I can have as many different colors on those as I want.

We started out just using the bases, but it quickly got ridiculous when a mini was both bloodied, marked, dazed and grabbed, and was balancing on a pile of 4 bases. By combining both options, combat is a breeze now.

YuriPup

First Post
Minions were a good surprise for my group.

It was one leader orc (obvious) and 15+ minions (no clue from me they weren't reguar orcs)--after they had run an encounter or 2 to get a feel for how powerful NPCs are.

I had all their attention for the first couple of rounds of combat, before they realized that they were fighting one hit wonders. (Well 2 hit wonders--the leader had the orc aura that let them get in a death blow.)

Dracorat

First Post
First session?

I'd not focus on much complex. Throw some small creatures in and get used to how to play.

Use some of the pregens in the DMG for now.

Eventually, run loose with your own creations!

Milambus

First Post
What do your players enjoy?

If they enjoy combat, give them a nice interactive battle. Use some interesting terrain, something that changes can be fun (a sinking ship comes to mind). Toss in some minions so they can get get some one-shot kills in. Make it a fun tactical encounter. DO NOT USE KOBOLDS. Not for your first combat at least. Their shiftiness will frustrate your melee fighters, and their high reflex will frustrate your ranged casters.

If they enjoy a deep role-play encounter more, try an interesting skill challenge. Make sure its not just a "clear rocks with Althetics check for 10 hours". A chase scene through the dark allies of a city with the guard in close pursuit. (Or it could be a band of thieves, a cabal of dark necromancers they stumbled upon, whatever.) Let your players describe what thye are doing in detail, asking for skill checks as appropriate. Try to get through the skill challenge without ever letting them know it is one, until the end when you say "you just defeated your first skill challenge" or "the guards have you surrounded, there is no where to escape to... you just failed your first skill challenge." Success means they get away. Failure could lead to a combat, or them getting captured and taken to the Captain of the Guard.

Or combine both into one session.

Your PCes are making a journey on a ship, but when they reach their destination they find the port under attack by pirates or a enemy state. Another ship engages them on the sea, damaging their ship and sending over a raiding party. The PCes must ward off the attacks as their ship is sinking. (Every turn one square of the ship sinks under the water. And the edge of the water there are 2 squares of difficult terrain, beyond that its too deep to stand and athletics checks are required.)

If the PCes win the combat, they must sail for the port which is under pirate attack because their ship is too damaged to make it anywhere else. (The pirates ship should be damaged and sink during the combat.)

As the ship lands at he dock (enter Pirated of the Caribean scene of Jack Sparrow stepping onto the dock just as the ship finally sinks under the water), other pirates/attacks see them and the chase is on. They may have to fight small bands of pirates along the way of the skill challenge (make a failure mean they get caught by a few minions, or a some minions and a couple stronger pirates). Eventually they either get captured by the pirates, or they escape they city. End the session there =)

Regicide

Banned
Banned
Have everyone hand their character to the player on their left and play them for the first session. Let them know deaths won't be penalized.

Also they should take a look at the character optimization boards so they have an idea on how to have a character that can end up as a 1000 dpr monster as opposed to putting stats in the wrong places at 1st level and ending up demigod that a crippled elderly unarmed peasant could beat up, while blind-folded.

Remove ads