Great Moments In D&D For Kids

I run a weekly D&D game for children ages 8-14 at my shop. When I took over our Young Heroes League program last fall, I had very little experience as a DM. I started running an Adventurer’s League table for adult players a few months later, which is easy by comparison. There isn’t much the grownups can throw at me that I haven’t already dealt with on some level while wrangling the kids.

I run a weekly D&D game for children ages 8-14 at my shop. When I took over our Young Heroes League program last fall, I had very little experience as a DM. I started running an Adventurer’s League table for adult players a few months later, which is easy by comparison. There isn’t much the grownups can throw at me that I haven’t already dealt with on some level while wrangling the kids.

I’m not a parent and have no formal training as a teacher, so I’ve learned a lot on the fly and am constantly surprised by the things they do. They keep me on my toes, which is a lot of fun, although I also am ready for a four-hour nap after every two-hour session. It’s a great improvisation exercise, and I go easy on the rules because the important thing is making sure the kids have fun and learn how to work as a team. Here are some of the best moments we’ve had in our game.

Magical Collaboration
In one of our earliest sessions, the party needed to distract a bunch of kobolds who had them outnumbered. One of the kids offered to use Minor Illusion, but worried the kobolds might not notice because it was getting dark. Another player read over her spells and realized she could use Prestidigitation to add sound to the image. I was so proud of them for working that out, and they were thrilled when their collaboration had the desired effect on the kobolds. It set a good precedent for the game when they realized they should try to work together instead of simply waiting for their turn to do something on their own.

Rat-sicles
One of the kids in my group started playing with us when she was 7 and a half. She technically was below the minimum age, but she could keep up with the older kids like a champ. Her wizard once helped defeat a swarm of rats with a well-placed Ray of Frost. I described the frozen rats she created as rat-sicles, which is a brand of humor that appeals strongly to my players’ demographic. (They also respond well to my dramatic performances of monster noises and death throes.)

A few minutes later, a little ambush drake attacked the party. Some of the members started fighting it, but our wizard said, “No! Wait!” She grabbed one of the rat-sicles and offered to feed it to the drake if it would stop attacking the group. Then she tried to make it her pet. And that’s when I learned a very important lesson...

A Monster Is Just a Pet You Haven't Tamed Yet
Our wizard didn’t roll a high enough animal handling check to tame the ambush drake, but that incident set off a craze where the kids tried to tame every beast the ran across for weeks. I admit I hoped to avoid letting them acquire pets. They got pretty close with an owlbear once. However, thanks to natural 20s rolled for animal handling in two different games, the wizard eventually got a pseudodragon off an evil sorcerer they defeated, and the half-orc barbarian got a puppy. They’re very careful about setting them aside in baskets and such to keep them safe during combat, so at least they’re responsible pet owners.

Dino-Disadvantage
Our party has investigated a number of strange incidents in which dangerous creatures were gathered in locations far away from their natural habitats. Once they fought their way through a mountain fortress that was inhabited by monsters that belong in the Underdark. Not long after, they were hired to look into a similar situation at another old military outpost in the forest that turned out to be full of dinosaurs, a very long way from Chult. I wonder who’s bringing these creatures over and putting them where they don’t belong?

Anyway, some of the dinosaurs were inside a large building. A couple of nasty, acid-spitting dinosaurs were hiding in a smaller room inside that building. The dragonborn paladin, halfling rogue, and human barbarian charged into the room to fight them, mostly blocking the only doorway into the room. The elf ranger was about 60 feet outside the door, but she could see one of the dinosaurs, though it had almost full cover by other party members. She’s a sharpshooter and really wanted to take a shot, so I let her try it with disadvantage.

Her first roll was a natural 20, so everyone groaned at the wasted crit. But when she rolled the second time, she got another natural 20. The kids lost their minds. There was pandemonium in the room for a solid minute. That was one of my favorite D&D moments ever, just because the kids were so elated over such a lucky roll. It was six months ago and they still talk about it frequently.

Oh, and they tried to tame a velociraptor to keep as a pet.

The Pyramid Incident
Recently, the party went to the desert and fought a blue dragon. Luckily, they were accompanied by a few higher-level NPCs who could help them. The kids recently received some magic items, among them the druid’s Bag of Beans. He planted a bean right before the battle, hoping something helpful would come from it. The battle was over before the bean’s one-minute germination ended. The party took a good bit of damage, but were busy harvesting dragon teeth when I had the player roll for the bean’s effect. He rolled a 99. I described what happened: a 60-foot pyramid erupted from the ground next to them. It was absurd and we all cackled like maniacs.

Despite the wizard’s objections (she had been polymorphed into a unicorn mid-battle, so nobody understood what she was saying), they charged in to see what was inside. And that’s how the young heroes wound up fighting a mummy lord immediately after defeating a dragon. They survived, but only because they had NPCs with some powerful healing spells nearby.

Have you ever been a DM for children? How did it go? Did someone else’s child ever ask you where half-orcs come from, leading to a flurry of other questions as kids start thinking through the implications of the existence of dragonborn and half-dragons? (Because that could’ve been very awkward, but I think I handled it okay.)

contributed by Annie Bulloch

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I’ve never run a game for kids, but I remember being introduced to the game as a kid at that age (back in the 1st edition days). It strikes me as odd to change the dynamics of the game to accommodate a child, but it also still strikes me as odd to change the dynamics of fiction to accommodate a child (the notion of Young Adult Fiction has always been ridiculous to me, having started to read fiction on C.S. Lewis and then moved on to the likes of JRR Tolkien and Isaac Asimov while a child — I didn’t understand any of it fully anymore than I did Gygax’s DMG, but reading ‘adult’ fiction was about stretching one’s understanding instead of settling). As a seven or eight year old, I played standard D&D games and dealt with TPKs left and right because I and my peers hadn’t learned how to play smart yet; being treated like an adult gamer as a child is what made me a strategic game as an adult.

Elf_flambe

Explorer
I played a couple of sessions with my kids' homeschool group when they were much younger (6-9 years old?) to help them get started roleplaying; the mom of a couple of the other kids was the DM. That crew was ingenious! At one point, we were climbing through a tower when we were stopped by an open trapdoor, the rope ladder visible coiled next to the opening. They decided to throw my dwarf fighter up through the opening (despite his objections!), where he would kick down the ladder and hold off the bandits we expected on the level above while the others climbed up. It worked pretty much as planned. Years later, my kids still love to recount the episode of dwarf-tossing...

The group has gone on to play lots of other games (Star Wars D20, Mutants & Masterminds, Big Eyes Small Mouth, Changeling), often running adventures for each other.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
One of the players in our new group is a pre-teen, and he's playing a dwarf fighter.

Last session, my Dad (also the DM) rolled up a random encounter, and a giant aardvark walked into our camp.
Declaring to my companions that I was here to save the world and not cause the next extinction event, I offered the animal some food . . . And then the dwarf ran forward with a gleeful expression and jumped on the creature's back.

A fumbled Animal Handling check later, and the aardvark fled into the night, the dwarf picked himself up off the ground, and the guy playing the the Wood Elf Monk declared that the whole experience was the best impromptu rodeo he'd ever seen.

We all had a really good laugh about it, and the Dwarf has since announced that he intends to buy an aardvark and use it as a trained mount.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I've DMed for a three-year-old !

Actually, she rolled the dice. Her dad used the opportunity to help her learn numbers. After a few disappointing times with the to-hit rolls (she didn't understand yet why sometimes we got excited and other times we groaned), we had her roll all the damage dice, because good things always happen and more is better.
The d20 was as big as her fist and had a secret power. Partway through the night she rolled it idly and when it stopped - on '20' - it lit up flashing! So she got the last time right, anyways.

We also had her moving the minis for a while, but she got tired of stretching across the table at the end of her arms' reach.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Another time, I wrote up a one-shot session and took it along to Church Camp with my son's 5th-grade class. (In case it rained.) A bunch of my son's friends played my "Beat Up Goliath" scenario. A few got bored and wandered off, but about 5 stuck through to the end.
At the final combat round, Goliath and a Monk were toe-to-toe both at 1 HP and whoever got a hit next would win the brawl.
The only well-equipped PC was an archer barbarian (oops). He rolled a '1' to-hit, so I said "You fire off the bow and hold on to the arrow. The bow wobbles through the air and lands in the square in front of you." Laughter all around. That player came back to me 10 years later (HS graduation party) and told me that because of the game experience, he started writing RPG sketch-rules based on his favorite video games, so he could "play" them after his parents turned off the TV for the night.
My son picked a Psalmist ('cleric') and spent the fight giving everybody else +1 to-hit bonus via Bless. As I explained the mechanics of the game, he saw Goliath's AC and realized nobody could hit Goliath without the help he was providing. So even the guy who 'never gave anybody a scratch' was contributing something important.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads