• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Great Weapon Fighting and damage dice from other sources

NeverLucky

First Post
GWF is pretty disappointing if it doesn't apply to additional damage dice, since even for greatsword/maul it adds less than +2 damage per hit on average. It's an interesting and useful fighting style when it works with extra dice, and it's a mediocre and semi-useless option when it doesn't, so I would go with RAW on this one.

delericho

Legend
Yeah, all dice for me too. The PHB text is clear enough as-is, and I find that these "official rulings", Sage Advice, and even errata mostly serve to undercut the "rulings, not rules" approach that is one of the great strengths of 5e.

But then, I don't run AL, so I'm not beholden to anyone else. :)

S'mon

Legend
No. Just the weapon dice.

That said, i don't see any major issue allowing it.

It's weak compared to Duellist even if it lets you reroll Superiority dice. Otherwise it's pathetic, except maybe for Champion Fighters with their improved crit range (which substitutes for Battlemaster superiority dice). Reference to Smite makes no sense either given that crits do let you roll smite dice twice.

TheLoneRanger1979

First Post
It's weak compared to Duellist even if it lets you reroll Superiority dice. Otherwise it's pathetic, except maybe for Champion Fighters with their improved crit range (which substitutes for Battlemaster superiority dice). Reference to Smite makes no sense either given that crits do let you roll smite dice twice.

I like your idea, so i'm awarding you xp :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads