• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Great Weapon Mastery - once more into the breach! (with math)

Very good. So it seems you can move then stop moving and pick something up and then continue to move. So even if the OA stopped your move. You would still have all of your speed that hasn't been used and you could start moving again right there right?

Stop right there. Free interaction is not an action per see. You can only break up your move before or after your action. Then you can further break up your move between your attacks. P.190. of the PHB. Unless that has been errata too...

Now that I know that there are two wording for the OA. A lot will change I can assure you. Will we keep the old wording? I don't know for my games are highly democratic. If the players prefer the old style, then will keep it that way. If they prefer the new wording, fine by me.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Stop right there. Free interaction is not an action per see. You can only break up your move before or after your action. Then you can further break up your move between your attacks. P.190. of the PHB. Unless that has been errata too...

Now that I know that there are two wording for the OA. A lot will change I can assure you. Will we keep the old wording? I don't know for my games are highly democratic. If the players prefer the old style, then will keep it that way. If they prefer the new wording, fine by me.

1. But you just said before that I could do that very thing? Or is there some implied notion that moving 15 feet west and picking up my sword and then moving 10 ft north and using it can only be done if I don't momentarily pause when I pick up my sword?

FrogReaver

2. There is a rule that says you can use some speed before and some after an action. Does that imply that all of your movement must come in one chunk before your action and then in one chunk after your action? Since there is no move action that isn't how it reads to me...

Or is that rule just explicitly stating that you can always move both before and after your action. I think that's what it's saying. What about you?

1. But you just said before that I could do that very thing? Or is there some implied notion that moving 15 feet west and picking up my sword and then moving 10 ft north and using it can only be done if I don't momentarily pause when I pick up my sword?

Picking something up does not break up your movement (free interaction remember?). But this is now a stale point and a stale argumentation as the OA no longuer interupt movement. (And yes the wording were leading to that assumption. This had led to a lot of discussions and it was a democratic decision that went the way we went. Wizard never answered our questions so we assumed we were right...)

2. There is a rule that says you can use some speed before and some after an action. Does that imply that all of your movement must come in one chunk before your action and then in one chunk after your action? Since there is no move action that isn't how it reads to me...

Or is that rule just explicitly stating that you can always move both before and after your action. I think that's what it's saying. What about you?

Read the rule. Before, after and in between your attacks. Again this is a stale argument as the OA no longuer interupt movement with the new printing. It could be read in a number of ways. We took one, you took an other. Fine by me.

FrogReaver

Picking something up does not break up your movement (free interaction remember?). But this is now a stale point and a stale argumentation as the OA no longuer interupt movement. (And yes the wording were leading to that assumption. This had led to a lot of discussions and it was a democratic decision that went the way we went. Wizard never answered our questions so we assumed we were right...)

I understand the 2nd part and we can drop it if you would like. I still don't understand how a careful analysis of the rule as you read it be wouldn't reveal many many problems with that interpretation.

For example in your old reading apparently I can't decide to pause for a brief moment when picking up my sword if I don't want my pre-action movement ending. That's just weird.

FrogReaver

Read the rule. Before, after and in between your attacks. Again this is a stale argument as the OA no longuer interupt movement with the new printing. It could be read in a number of ways. We took one, you took an other. Fine by me.

As long as some movement is used before the action and some after then I'm not breaking that rule. It doesn't say that I must use all my pre attack movement in one chunk. It doesn't say anything about whether movement before your action can or cannot be broken up. Of course it doesn't because there is no movement action. You just move whenever and however you want to before your action. Then you move whenever and however you want after your action. You don't have to move in one chunk ever. No rule in the game forces you to do that.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I better understand why you thought dodge was a good counter, though. The extra stickiness of your OA rule makes it a pretty effective battlefield control option. Sadly, that isn't how they built the game.

guachi

Hero

Sure, you could read it any number of ways. Only one way was the correct way. Like everyone else has said, interrupting your movement doesn't reduce your movement to zero. The OA, in and of itself, doesn't prevent you from continuing to move. It never did with or without the word "interrupt" there.

Remove ads