• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greater Invis & Sneak Attack

cutter

First Post
In last night's gaming session, the question arose regarding the party rogue. "When he is under the effects of a Greater Invisibility spell, each foe who cannot see him would be denied their Dex bonus against him. So, would each attack from him be a sneak attack?" That's an awful lot of sneak attacks in a gaming session from a hasted rogue toting a wand of Greater Invisibility.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Yes, it is. But it's also the rule. Keep in mind, of course, that there are plenty of things immune to sneak attacks in general (constructs, undead) and in that situation (opponents with uncanny dodge). It's potent but it's not unbalanced.

lukelightning

First Post
It gives the rogue a chance to shine. It's not like rogues automatically hit, and just fighting in a shadowy alley will deny sneak attacks, believe it or not (because of concealment).

Zad

First Post
People seem to think a rogue is overly powerful with the sneak attacks but having played a rogue for a while, I think the people worried need to actually try it. Yes, what you asked about will work fine. It also requires two rounds minimum to set up (casting haste and greater invis) and that also takes money. Not to mention you need a foe that takes crits, can't see invis, and so on.

mikebr99

Explorer
Zad said:
It also requires two rounds minimum to set up (casting haste and greater invis) and that also takes money.
That's the max actually... there are lots of ways to get your Rogue hasted and Imp. Invisible in one round or less. YMMV

Mike

Darklone

A little bit of mist or darkness and the rogue has no sneak attack anymore... it's pretty easy to spoil. And if you don't manage to spoil his sneak attack, waste his full attack actions by moving too much.

zlorf

First Post
Actually a few items in the Magic Item Compendium and i think a feat in one of the other books allows a thief to sneak contructs and undead. It seems wizards are trying to make it
so any character can do something in every combat.

Cheers
Z

billd91 said:
Yes, it is. But it's also the rule. Keep in mind, of course, that there are plenty of things immune to sneak attacks in general (constructs, undead) and in that situation (opponents with uncanny dodge). It's potent but it's not unbalanced.

meomwt

First Post
cutter said:
In last night's gaming session, the question arose regarding the party rogue. "When he is under the effects of a Greater Invisibility spell, each foe who cannot see him would be denied their Dex bonus against him. So, would each attack from him be a sneak attack?" That's an awful lot of sneak attacks in a gaming session from a hasted rogue toting a wand of Greater Invisibility.

Yes, and I've been on the wrong end of that combo before now (sigh).

Let's just say I'll be more cautious from now on...

satori01

First Post
Greater Invisibility is one of those things that in small doses is fine, but every combat is a bit tedious....even with non-rogues. I ran a one shot with a Sorcerer, a Rogue, and an Unfettered (AE)......it was fun, but needless to say Improved Invisibility, 2 Two weapon fighting Sneak Attackers, and Arcane Eye to scout to set up ambushes made life very fun for the monsters.....it is an interesting tactical decision when the enemy spell casters are casting darkness on themselves to get the "Shadowy Illumination" concealment.

Remove ads