• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greater Invis & Sneak Attack

Slobber Monster

First Post
Seeking

Only ranged weapons can have the seeking ability. The weapon veers toward its target, negating any miss chances that would otherwise apply, such as from concealment. (The wielder still has to aim the weapon at the right square. Arrows mistakenly shot into an empty space, for example, do not veer and hit invisible enemies, even if they are nearby.)

Strong divination; CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, true seeing; Price +1 bonus.

So price of launcher + 8,000 gp for +2 weapon bonus = ignore all miss chances for any opponent you can perceive.

Did I get it?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
dagger said:
Blindfold of True Darkness from 3.0 Arms and Equipment Guide...?

I think it gives 60 ft Blindsight.

It's updated for 3.5 in the Magic Item Compendium. Still 9000 gp. Still gives blindsight. I believe it is 30 ft however. And, you are effectively blind beyond that 30 feet. Which in my book is a big disadvantage.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I would note that the majority of the defenses Nail mentions are completely unaffected by a little blindsight for the Rogue.

Not being able to see beyond 30 feet is usually a huge detriment...unless you are allowed to cheat. Players who use such an item should themselves be blindfolded during the course of the battle.

backbeat

First Post
Anyone really wanting to up the ante of the Sneak Attack + Greater Invis. needs to see the Ninja class. A good ninja can as a Swift action get one round greater invisibility WIS+1/2lvl times per day. My ninja totally carries a seeking bow. :D

IanB

First Post
On top of everything else, the Blind-Fight feat can shut this tactic down for any character (though only for melee attacks), given that it has no prerequisites. I'd say it is definitely not broken.

cutter

First Post
The rogue gets his Greater Invis from a wand that he purchased. I don't remember how much gold it ran him but I do know that the DM didn't sell him a fully-charged wand. He usually gets the Haste from the party sorcerer or occasionally myself [something I rarely mem since our other caster is a sorcerer].

UltimaGabe

First Post
cutter said:
The rogue gets his Greater Invis from a wand that he purchased. I don't remember how much gold it ran him but I do know that the DM didn't sell him a fully-charged wand. He usually gets the Haste from the party sorcerer or occasionally myself [something I rarely mem since our other caster is a sorcerer].

As the others have said, it's really not as bad as it seems. Especially when you consider a Fighter or Barbarian with a two-handed weapon and power attack could produce the exact same (or better) damage output without all of the magical buffs (though those definitely would help) against ALL targets, not just ones susceptible to critical hits. AND they're far better suited to be within melee range, as d10-d12 HD and possible damage reduction aren't part of the Rogue class.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads