• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greatest Moment While DMing

boerngrim

Explorer
Hi. Years ago in a 2e FR campaign I ran the PC's were travelling somwhere along the Sword Coast when they came upon the scene of a group of bearded devils attacking a small caravan as it passed by an old ruined castle. The PC's came on scene too late to save the caravan, but they saw the bearded devils grab a woman and carry her off to the ruins. There was one tower of the castle still in decent shape, which the devils were using as a lair. The heroes fought their way into the tower, narrowly defeated the fiends and rescued the poor traveller.
As such things go, the woman was a beautiful young maiden. The PC's took the young woman with them for her own safety, of course. As the days of the journey went on the young woman became attracted to the dashing and mysterious wizard, Archon. Archon returned her interest and eventually one evening as the companions were settling into camp for the night, the maiden took Archon away from the others for a little privacy. I've never been one for graphic intimacy in RPG's, so I just told Archon that he had a wonderful time and they went to sleep in each other's arms.
When Archon awoke in the morning the former maiden was gone, and he felt somehow weakened. When he returned to the campsite the others were shocked to see that Archon had aged! The party were all fairly young, but now Archon looked much older, and his hair had turned grey. Archon was a very clever man and came to the realization that the "woman" they had rescued from the bearded devils was actually a succubus. She was grateful, but was a demon after all, and held true to her nature, but she left him alive.
Lonny, Archon's player called me a sneaky bastard and kept a careful eye on me from then on!
Years later in game time, when Archon was a powerful wizard who had built a tower and taken on students to learn the ways of wizardry, and moved far from the Sword Coast to the Moonsea region, a young woman showed up on his doorstep claiming to be his daughter. Archon didn't believe her at first, but then she told the story of how he and his brave companions had saved her mother from a horrible fate at the hands of a group of bearded devils! Yes, this young woman was Archon's Alu-fiend daughter whose mother sent her to live with her father because she was of a disturbingly neutral tempermant. Again I was called a sneaky bastard, but as time went on Archon (and Lonny) came to enjoy having a daughter to pass his legacy on to and to teach the art of magic .
Thanks.

Ambrus

Explorer
boerngrim said:
But as time went on Archon (and Lonny) came to enjoy having a daughter to pass his legacy on to and to teach the art of magic.
Then one night while Archon was sleeping, his half-fiend daughter slew him with the magic he'd taught her, ate his heart, stole all his magic possessions and carried his damned soul back to the Abyss with her as a prize to offer her mother. And again the DM was called a sneaky bastard... The End. :p

sirwmholder

First Post
Ambrus said:
Then one night while Archon was sleeping, his half-fiend daughter slew him with the magic he'd taught her, ate his heart, stole all his magic possessions and carried his damned soul back to the Abyss with her as a prize to offer her mother. And again the DM was called a sneaky bastard... The End. :p
ROFLMAO... I mean... bad... bad DM no cookies for you!

William Holder

Oryan77

Adventurer
boerngrim said:
Lonny, Archon's player
I know this is way off topic and completely pointless, but I had to take a double look when I noticed your players name was Lonny. And it's a guy? My brother's name is Lonny spelled the exact same way. I just hardly see that name and when I do it's spelled Lonnie and usually female. :p

boerngrim

Explorer
Oryan77 said:
I know this is way off topic and completely pointless, but I had to take a double look when I noticed your players name was Lonny. And it's a guy? My brother's name is Lonny spelled the exact same way. I just hardly see that name and when I do it's spelled Lonnie and usually female. :p

Hi Oryan.
Yeah the player was a guy named Lonny. I'm pretty sure that my spelling is correct, but that game was over 10 years ago, and I've lost touch with Lonny.

Arravis

First Post
Our four year campaign was coming to a close, the party finally reached epic a few months before, and had gathered an army of allies and mercenaries to take on the seemingly overwhelming forces of their enemy. The players were nervous, they had spent most of the campaign only worried about themselves and their comrades, but for this battle they would lead many thousands of men into battle. They spent hours coming up with clever strategies and gave passionate speeches to their troops. The lives of their army and their allies hung on the decisions the PC's made.

So imagine their surprise when the battle started and I asked everyone to hand me their character sheets and I handed them new ones back, three for each player. Character sheets of first and second level warriors: a platoon of men they themselves had commanded to hold a tower near the front lines. A tower that had to be held at all costs... a tower that the PC's almost certainly knew would be overwhelmed, dooming all who held that ground.

Much of the game was spent waiting for orders, preparing defenses in the tower, and just talking. Each soldier had a history, each one had families and friends. Father and son were there, husband and wife, good people, bad people, the general mix of all that makes us human. And when the enemy finally came, they fought with all they had. They fought harder with those 1st and 2nd level characters than I had ever seen them fight with their epic characters. As they fell and died, they fought harder still, knowing they were all doomed in the end. They shed tears as the last of the men fought together, singing the songs of their homeland, as the enemy battered down the tower door and overwhelmed them. They had all died with an honor and grace that the players had never had with their own characters... and they had all died forgotten. The battle was won in the end, the PC's epic character's overcame, but no one would tell the tale of the in the tower and no one would know what happened.

Just a dozen among many thousands.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads