• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greatest Sentence of All Time?

Wombat

First Post
Personally, I fairly worship long sentences that are fully under control.

Short, declaritive sentences are all very fine in their place, what with their subject-verb-object all regimentally aligned, and yet there is something truly wondrous about a sentence that meanders in the manner of common conversation, full of circumlocutions and ellipses of thought.

Yep, long sentences rule. :cool:

Ferret

Explorer
"Therefore farewell. I see thou knows't me not."

Ok not the greatest but I like it:) If I poured over some terry pratchett, read some more steven king and in general more I'd be able to pick a better one.

Welverin

First Post
I'm partial to the first sentence of To Reign in Hell by Brust, which I can't quote because I'm not home at teh moment and even if I was it wouldn't matter because a friend has my copy of the book at the moment.

Someone

Adventurer
Speaking of sentences...

En un lugar de la mancha,de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme, no ha mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor.

arnon

Explorer
I'll agree that any quote of Adams is good, I love them all. This is one of my favorite:

Marvin said:
The first ten million years were the worst," said Marvin, "and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten millions years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads