Green Dragon Going to War VS 15th level Party: Advice?

Schmoe

Adventurer
Wolfspider said:
I don't know...the image of a dragon wearing boots really doesn't sit well with me for some reason.... :eek:

Then give them another form - perhaps a ring, or an amulet. The beauty of the magic item creation rules is that any effect can be put into any form, more or less.

Something to seriously consider...

Have 'the big fight' take place with the Dragon under the effects of an Anti-Magic Field. Granted this will strip the dragon of many of it's abilities, it will also rob the players of thier biggest asset, magic. Take away a Wizard/Sorcerer's spells and they're in serious trouble, and it's a pretty hefty blow to a higher level Fighter's power-level as well. On the other hand, that Dragon still has an impressive AC, BAB, and an impressive array of hit points.

As I'd recently read in P-kitty's Story Hour you can still use magic while inside a Field, you just have to be tricky about it. A necklace of missles works great if the target is outside the Field's AoE, the same would hold true of Archers shooting magical arrows.

Someone mentioned the liberal use of Undead, this would support the use of the Field in that the PC's are (nearly) crippled, yet the Undead would function normaly. Also, if you were to heed the advice of MaxKaladin you'd have an excellent excuse to throw in some Constructs that the Dragon, or it's minions, had constructed. Perhaps even for use in this very situation.

Granted, this isn't going to be quite as effective as it might be becuase of the limited AoE of the spell, only 10' radius. Perhaps the Wizard you'd mentioned should cast it, and ride the Dragon. This would let the Wyrm get away from the spell (say to breath) and duck back inside if things get ugly. And even if it's the center of effect (ie: read a scroll, very old) it'd still be immune to magic and able to grapple someone and haul them underwater to drown. A Dispel Magic can be resisted but Anti-Magic Field can't ;)

Hatchling Dragon

Draco Argentum

First Post
If you give it a construct as a guard use the magical construct template to create a stone green dragon. The use an illusion to make it look the same as the real dragon.
This will:
1. Put up a good fight in its own right
2. Hopefully the PCs will be fooled into using some of their powerful spells.
3. Provides a perfect excuse to give them less treasure then normal because the golem was created with some of the wyrms treasure. :)

The template is somewhere at Monte Cook's site in DMs only I think.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know if the subject has come up or not, but the green dragon's breath weapon works differently than most other dragons'. It's a cloud.

The dragon doesn't have to confront the party directly to "breathe" on them. He can take up positon behind some trees or bushes (preferably uphill) and exhale with intent. Think of the reaction when the group sees a greenish cloud emerge from behind a stand of trees and come rolling towards them. While they're trying to escape the dragon can prepare other devilment.

Alan

Werewolf_26

First Post
I certainly will...:-D

Right now, I don't think the party will GET to the dragon. Did some more finishing up of the other half-dragons. Leadership brought in a Cleric & a Druid, as well as 50 something 1 HD followers. Treasure horde has some useful stuff in it too.

Its going to be a Wonderous battle. Great thing for the party to do going into a 4-day weekend for our HS players. More nights for gaming, probably at least 2 just fighting the dragon & Company.

We'll see how it goes, but I suspect the party having the roughest fight they've ever had.

Remove ads