• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Green Dragon

Oreot

Explorer
I actually really like the look of the Blue, its my favorite dragon, but this guy looks terrible. I agree he'd look better if he looked more like a poisonous snake, maybe get that triangular head and fangs with a long neck, sleek body, that could've been sweet.

Klaus

First Post
It took me a longer than expected because I had to take a break and have lunch. But it's not shabby for 60 minutes of work:

449478f84f3d8e58.jpg

Things I had in mind: 1) it's venomous; 2) it lives in forests; 3) I wanted to keep the nose-horn, just because WotC went with it, and I wanted it to work.

With that in mind, I searched for real-world creatures that looked the part. For the head, I did a triangular head, like the Horn-Nosed Viper ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipera_ammodytes ), spashed with some Thorny Devil ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorny_devil ) for the horns and general dragon-ny look. It helped that both creatures have heads with forward-positioned eyes and nostrils. I also added an intimidating frill, like the Frilled Lizard's ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frilled_lizard ), to differentiate it even more from the rest of the dragons. For the wings, I wanted something that made sense in a forest, so I went with an old favorite of mine, the Flying Dragon ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_dragon ).

frankthedm

First Post
Oreot said:
I agree he'd look better if he looked more like a poisonous snake, maybe get that triangular head and fangs with a long neck, sleek body, that could've been sweet.
SOmething like one of therer?

1018ip3.gif
or
cover_180.jpg

Oreot

Explorer
I really like what Klaus posted, especially the first sketch, upper left. I like that view the best because it seems the nose horn protrudes forward more than straight up like it kinda looks in the other views, all of its fantastic though, love the body and frills, not sold on the wings 100% but I don't have a better suggestion for it either. Great stuff, I envy his talent.

*Edit* I think one tiny thing I might suggest is moving the hind legs farther back so it has a longer torso, would look a little more serpentine and be reminiscent of eastern dragons. I can picture him weaving through trees in a jungle with his flexible body.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
Oreot said:
I really like what Klaus posted, especially the first sketch, upper left. I like that view the best because it seems the nose horn protrudes forward more than straight up like it kinda looks in the other views, all of its fantastic though, love the body and frills, not sold on the wings 100% but I don't have a better suggestion for it either. Great stuff, I envy his talent.

*Edit* I think one tiny thing I might suggest is moving the hind legs farther back so it has a longer torso, would look a little more serpentine and be reminiscent of eastern dragons. I can picture him weaving through trees in a jungle with his flexible body.

Cheers!
Always a possibility. Check out the "slithering mode" inset above the colored head.

AGFlynn

First Post
Stormtalon said:
Well, if it's any consolation, Worlds and Monsters makes it pretty explicit that of the chromatics, the only one that got a makeover was the Green dragon. It's partly due to the change in its breath weapon to a poisonous gas (they commented that everything about the dragon should scream "poison -- get away!"), and also because of the chromatics, the Green had the most "generic dragon" look to it.

Interesting, brings it back to its 1e roots when it breathed chlorine gas

Scribble

First Post
rhm001 said:
Your image link was broken for me, but it inspired me to find a picture elsewhere. I have to say, after seeing it, I get what they were going for, and the cover art is not bad at all. I like it.

But the mini? Yeesh. From every angle we've seen so far---between the nose and the mouth and the apparent head to body proportions---it's either incredibly poor execution or SO post-modern that it should be a character in a webcomic somewhere...

Yeah the mini (from what we can see) looks kind of goofy. But again I don't think plastic seems like the most precise of mediums, so maybe it's sometimes hard to make things not look goofy...

I posted the snake because there was a comment made that when animals in nature have a nose horn they point upwards... It's not true. In truth, however, I think that snake actually looks pretty goofy. :p

Just stating that the nose horn protruding straight out could be considered realistic... At least as realistic as you can get with an imaginary creature... :confused:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads