• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Green Dragon

Novem5er

First Post
Klaus, that's an interesting take on the green and I think it would have made for a decent re-design :)

I honestly think the new mini looks better than the WAR painting we're all commenting on. It's still quite a shock to see that snout horn on the mini, but it's turned into one of my favorite pieces. If the word "poison" didn't convince anyone, how about 2 words:

Dastardly Villain.

Just imagine the new green with a twisty mustache:

dick.gif

Eh-heh-heh-heh >)

Rugger

Explorer
<insert snarky comment about horny green dragons here>

But more importantly, I LOOOOOOVE your green design Claudio! Very snakelike and, well, venomous.

- Matt

lutecius

Explorer
Novem5er said:
The green dragon is now a poison based monster that breaths a cloud of poison gas. They wanted people to think of daggers and needles, of snakes and assassins. They designed the green to be a slithery, spiky thing that drips poison. And apparently, high level greens are going to have mind control features like they Cyan Bloodbane from Dragonlance, a green dragon that manipulated the minds of the elven people.

Also, the designers have stated that the 3e design for the green was too generic. It was the least identifiable of all the dragons, as it really had no unique feature on it's face.

So with this new perspective in mind, I've come to really like the new green. I just hope I can convince my players the same, otherwise they might laugh when I drop the mini on the mat :)
that poison thing doesn't cut it for me. Slender spines and barbs like those of a scorpion fish would evoke poison, those thick cones don't.
Even if such thing as venomous nose horns existed (do they?) it should look like that of a rhino or triceratops. even a chameleon's horn points slightly upward.

But wasn't the horn nose already taken by the blue dragon anyway?

Last edited:

Kunimatyu

First Post
Novem5er said:
One word: Poison.

The green dragon is now a poison based monster that breaths a cloud of poison gas. They wanted people to think of daggers and needles, of snakes and assassins. They designed the green to be a slithery, spiky thing that drips poison.

So make it snakey, like Klaus's redesign.

In the biological sense, "spikey" has nothing whatsoever to do with poison, though it often has to do with male-male competition and predator defense. If WotC wanted to evoke "poison" they should have given the green a wedge-like venomous snake head, elongated the neck, and perhaps given it a cobra hood made of out of smaller projections, like a gold dragon's wings.

Spikey actually suggests that the dragon is very physical, which works wonderfully for Blues, and less well for a type that's supposed to be about mental manipulation and poison.

Nebulous

Legend
ferratus said:
Has anyone attempted to snip the green dragon horn off their starter miniature? I've been tempted to do so, but I'm afraid of the result. Is there a green paint that is close to the miniature colour that I can use to cover up the nose job?

I sure did. I think it looks much better without the horn. I still LOVE the poison aspect of a 4e green dragon, but i don't need that honkin horn to remind me of it.

Remove ads