• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Green Ronin's Advanced GameMasters Guide is Out!

Garnfellow

Explorer
TerraDave said:
That looks like a lot, how much detail does it go in to?

And Examples, Examples garnfellow! ;)

Each of the topics run about half a page to a page.

I've really only skimmed parts very briefly, so if you have something specific you want to know about, let me know.

There is a very interesting variant using playing cards instead of d20s. Take a deck, pull out all the face cards, aces = 1, black suits = 10 + card card value, and deal 5 cards to each player, and the DM gets 8 or so. Instead of rolling 20s, you play a card, applying all the normal D&D modifiers. The players get to choose when to use each card; when they've used up all 5 they are dealt 5 more.

This would be a nice mechanic in a story driven game. Task resolution is still random, the math stays the same with the same success/failure probabilities, but players have a lot more control over when they "roll well" or "roll badly."

Last edited:

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Garnfellow said:
There is a very interesting variant using playing cards instead of d20s. Take a deck, pull out all the face cards, aces = 1, black suits = 10 + card card value, and deal 5 cards to each player, and the DM gets 8 or so. Instead of rolling 20s, you play a card, applying all the normal D&D modifiers. The players get to choose when to use each card; when they've used up all 5 they are dealt 5 more.

This would be a nice mechanic in a story driven game. Task resolution is still random, the math stays the same with the same success/failure probabilities, but players have a lot more control over when they "roll well" or "roll badly."
Ala the SAGA ruleset for Dragonlance and Marvel Superheroes . . .

CalicoDave

Explorer
Thanks for the Table of Contents. Most of the enteries are fairly self-explanatory, but what are "Representative Battles" from Chapter Two?

That card mechanic sounds pretty cool. Might go well to combine with Sidewinder or Horizon: Spellslinger.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Gentlegamer said:
Ala the SAGA ruleset for Dragonlance and Marvel Superheroes . . .

Exactly. I hate Dragonlance, but I seriously considered converting my campaign over to SAGA. Then 3e hit and I've never looked back.

Garnfellow

Explorer
CalicoDave said:
Thanks for the Table of Contents. Most of the enteries are fairly self-explanatory, but what are "Representative Battles" from Chapter Two?

Here's a quote from the text:

AGMG said:
An alternative to actually implementing and using mass-combat rules is to resolve large battles through representative conflicts run on a smaller scale. A simple set of skill checks is used to determine conditions in the early, middle, and late portions of a large battle, with climactic and important moments run as skirmishes with just the PCs and nearby NPCs.
Th e results of these smaller-scale confl icts modify the rolls made to determine the conditions of the next skirmish and ultimately the outcome of the whole battle.

CalicoDave

Explorer
Thanks Garnfellow. That's what I was hoping it meant.

This looks like it might be an interesting and useful book and worth checking out.

Garnfellow

Explorer
DMH said:
What are Ars Vitae, Boons, Levin and Spell Lenses?

Ars vitae is a magical fluid that grants bonus feats to characters that drink it.

Boons are special powers faithful worshipers gain through dedication, ritual, and sacrifice. There are minor (gain fire resistance 1), moderate (+10 bonus to Hide checks), and epic (gain twice as many 1st and 2nd level spells per day) boons.

Levin is a lot like vis from the Ars Magica game, and can be used as power components. "Levin is magical material that can be used in place of experience point costs when casting spells or making magic items. It can best be described as potential magical energy,dormant by itself but able to empower rituals and ceremonies in much the same way a spellcaster ’s own life-energies can. Levin is measured in points,with 1 point of levin able to replace 1 experience point of cost for item creation or spellcasting."

Spell Lenses are magic items that allow a spellcaster to convert energy from a prepared spell or open spell slot into a spell stored within the spell focus.

Levin is such a cool idea I am almost certain to use it in my house campaign, and spell lenses are looking pretty good, too.

DMH

First Post
Thank you. I have a much more evil idea for Levin- rending down the bodies of magical beings (those that either cast spells or have spell like or supernatural abilities) to create it.

Sort of like how aboleths make their mucus from eaten prey.

Spell lenses sound interesting. Sort of like wands that cost slots instead of charges.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads