• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Green Ronin's Game of Thrones

Nlogue

First Post
Any impressions of this game yet? I did some design work on Peril in King's Landing and I thought their system was pretty innovative and also really grasped the gritty political nature of Martin's books.

Also, anyone play Peril yet? I'd love to hear how it went for you.

Nick

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
One of the ENnies judges described A Song of Ice and Fire as the best product he read during the awards evaluation. Given that there's close to 300 products submitted, that's high praise.

Crothian

First Post
I think the game plays well and is fun and I'm not a fan of the novels. I haven't seen Peril in King's Landing so no comment on that.

I have read SiF RPG and think it is an awesome system, I have Landing on PDF, but I haven't read it through yet. I am unlikely to play it, not our style, but looks good so far.

Nlogue

First Post
Cool! Thanks for the input y'all! I am kicking up a new campaign coming this October and am heavily considering using Song of Ice and Fire - I loved what I saw when I was designing Peril, but I was wondering how the game works out in long term play.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I think the game plays well and is fun and I'm not a fan of the novels. I haven't seen Peril in King's Landing so no comment on that.
That's interesting. I've read the first two books and then stopped as I was losing interest and was discouraged by discovering how many other volumes were planned... so you think that the system is good enough to stand on its own, independently of the source material?

I also have another, unrelated, question. I remember reading some complaints about how heavy armor is modeled in the game. Supposedly there penalties are excessive and this was cited as not very "realistic" and also not faithful to the source material. What is the impression, in actual play, about this issue?

Crothian

First Post
That's interesting. I've read the first two books and then stopped as I was losing interest and was discouraged by discovering how many other volumes were planned... so you think that the system is good enough to stand on its own, independently of the source material?

It is a solid game system. There would need to be some tweaks I imagine to fit other genres but I think it could.

One of the ENnies judges described A Song of Ice and Fire as the best product he read during the awards evaluation. Given that there's close to 300 products submitted, that's high praise.

Maybe not the best -- too many products and too much variety for me to pick the best -- but probably my favorite. The one that most made me go 'ooh, I want to play with this'. A really nice blend of the tactical and crunchy with still some heroic and narrative bits thrown in. Unified mechanics for personal combat, intrigue, and mass combat. A character generation system that accomodates the old knight and the young squire in the same group, and still makes them both effective in different ways.

Honestly, not a big fan of the setting. I've grown rather weary of the novels, and Westeros is not especially conducive to gaming in some regards, IMO. But it was well represented in the book, and very smart of Green Ronin (read that out loud for me, Piratecat!) to base it when they did before the first book. It gets the flavor and the history without overly hamstringing the GM or the players.

I'm working on adapting the rules to an old, old homebrew (some have seen bits of it in the Winter Witch one-shot). I'm thinking of having each player make a house in a recently conquered area, and then create 3 or so characters for their house. There would be external threats and so forth to make the different houses want to cooperate on some things, but still be a little competitive.

Fate point spent by characters would be tagged with the House, and then go into a pool. When they refreshed, I'd redistribute them randomly, so you may end up with a Fate point tagged with another House. The player could then use that during the 'House Actions' parts to either boost their own House's fortunes, or surreptitiously screw with another House.

kitsune9

Adventurer
Any impressions of this game yet? I did some design work on Peril in King's Landing and I thought their system was pretty innovative and also really grasped the gritty political nature of Martin's books.

Also, anyone play Peril yet? I'd love to hear how it went for you.

Nick

I would like to pick this up along with the old GoO Game of Thrones RPG which I've heard is really cool too. I read the first book and really enjoyed it. It's about the only setting where super-low magic is cool with me.

Kishin

First Post
One of the best designed systems I've seen in recent memory. Simple, yet elegant and surprisingly deep. Highly recommend it. Leaps and bounds over the GoO version, which was in itself a fairly decent product (for an OGL take on the world).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads