• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Greenest (Tyranny of Dragons)

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find more information on Greenest, the starting town in Hoard of the Dragon Queen? I had a look at Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast on the DMsguild, but the contents page doesn't seem to list it; the Forgotten Realms wiki just references Hoard. Was this town created for the adventure? I'm really just wanting enough detail to do a few scenes pre-attack, rather than starting in media res.

It's mentioned in the 3.0 FRCG under the Green Fields entry:

"...Over the centuries, innumerable petty warlords and ambitious merchants have established fiefdoms on the northern fringes of the grasslands north of the Snakewood and southeast of the Wood of Sharp Teeth. The current halfling-who-would-be-queen is Dharva Scatterheart. Dharva likes the space, the running water, the lack of taxation (from anyone other than her), and the constant streams of caravans attempting the shortcut from the route through the Cloud Peaks over to Berdusk."

"With the aid of a silent partner who has turned out to be a Shadow Thief of Amn, Dharva has erected a palisade town named Greenest along the trail to Berdusk. She's not entirely happy that the Shadow Thieves are her partners, but so far they've behaved themselves and confined themselves to business. That could change, of course. It wouldn't be the first time a Green Fields enterprise failed because of incompatible partners."

This is circa 1372 and the AP starts in 1489 so it's been awhile since the town was established.

Thanks for the help. That entry is particularly helpful, [MENTION=6872739]Brian Barrington[/MENTION], since I had no idea where the town came from. Otherwise it seems like the Realms - famous for having every nook and cranny explored - has this once failed to provide much detail!

I found that someone online had annotated the map with a general store, inn, etc, and I used that to add a bit of light colour, writing my own descriptions of the prominent NPCs. I always like to know who the blacksmith, innkeeper, main priest, and owner of the general store are before the players roll into town; once you have them, it is easy to generate some light roleplaying.

Ah well. I'll be swimming in information once the players reach Baldur's Gate...

Remove ads