• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grenade-like Potions

Quidam

First Post
I've been considering adding grenade-like potions to my game. The first thought was to have cure potions that could be hurled at a target, affecting it on impact. Of course, the same principle could be used for any other potions. The risk'd be that if you miss, the potion (most likely) shatters and is wasted.

What do you think the modified cost of such potions would be?

las

First Post
Gauntlet Potions
Gauntlet Potion may be either imbibed or thrown as a grenade, and you get a different effect depending on how you use it. If drunk, the potions provide protection from a certain type of energy or creature. If thrown, these potions explode as an area effect spell. Note that breaking the potion vial lets loose the spell, so these can be dangerous items to carry around. Potion spell effects function as though cast by a 10th-level caster. Gauntlet potions have a range increment of 10 feet and follow the rules for throwing grenade-like objects (see Player’s Handbook, page 138).
Under the normal rules of magic item creation, you cannot create a potion that stores a spell of 4th level or higher. Thus, the creator of these Gauntlet potion must have both the Brew potion and Craft Wondrous Item feats and use both in the creation of these items, To create potions similar to this, use the following formula; (highest spell’s level X caster level X 50 gp) + (additional spell’s level X caster level X 50 gp X 0.5). The resulting total is the market price of the item.
Red Potion
Imbibed: Resist elements (fire)
Thrown: Fireball
Caster Level: 10th; Prerequisites: Brew Potion, Craft Wondrous Item, resist elements, fireball; Market Price: 2,000 gp; Cost to Create: 1,000 gp + 80 XP
Blue Potion
Imbibed: Resist elements (electricity)
Thrown: 20 foot radius burst of electricity, dealing 10d6 points of electricity damage
Caster Level: 10th; Prerequisites: Brew Potion, Craft Wondrous Item, lightning, resist elements; Market Price: 2,000 gp; Cost to Create: 1,000 gp + 80 XP.
Green Potion
Imbibed: Resist elements (acid)
Thrown: Cloudkill
Caster Level: 10th; Prerequisites: Brew Potion, Craft Wondrous Item, resist elements, cloudkill; Market Price: 3,000 gp; Cost to Create: 1,500 gp + 120 XP
Yellow Potion
Imbibed: Protection from evil
Thrown: Circle of doom
Caster Level: 10th; Prerequisites: Brew potion, Craft Wondrous Item, circle of doom, protection from evil; Market Price 2,750 gp; Cost to Create: 1,375 gp + 110 XP.

is that what your looking for its out of a dragon one of my freinds had.

Quidam

First Post
Sort of...

Except I'm talking about a single-spell potion that is JUST like a normal potion (limited to 4th lvl & below, etc) except that its effects can be triggered externally by self or others as opposed to being only applied/ingested by the user.

Thanks for the help, though!

las

First Post
Let gust say dont let a gantlet potion break ok itle get alittle hot if is fire ball plus you can use the formala for what you whant to use it for any way.

Quidam

First Post
What I want them for

Like I said, I'm more interested in a cleric who can nail be standing back nailing the Tank in the back of the head every round with cure-grenades. Heck- anyone can do it, all they gotta do is hit the guy with a touch attack, and I'd even rule that he wouldn't get his Dex bonus to his AC as he's not dodging things thrown at him by his friends.

The same could be done with potions of Bull's Strength- you get the picture.

Xarlen

First Post
I could see a Potion of Grease. ;)

Really, I don't like the Elemental Prot./Fireball. I had, though devised Suicide Potions. It has an area affect spell, and once drunk, is released, ground zero being the drinker. They get no save.

So basicly they're downing a fireball, and it goes off from inside them. :)

I like the 'Hurled Potion Benefits' idea. I've always thought you could pour a healing potion into a wound to heal it.

Remove ads