• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grey morals from the other side

X

xnosipjpqmhd

On a related note, as player of characters who frequently try to capture rather than kill, it annoys me when the DM portrays all the bad guys as having death wishes. Sometimes there are valid reasons for NPCs to fight to the death, but when every villain/mook does this ALL the time, I get a tad frustrated.

JoseFreitas

First Post
As most here, I find it best to define bad guys according to some values. Being a baddie doesn't mean one will go around killing people for any reason whatsoever.

This is different from the first question, would the NPC baddie have it in him to kill someone cold blooded. I suppose this is as good a moment as any to make a roll (perhaps using WIS or something), and would work well in a climactic scene, with the DM rolling in front of the PCs to see if the baddie kills the hostage or not. Modifiers for alignment, experience and so on would be in order.

As for fighting to the death, well, I don't have that kind of problem, I don't play 3ed and the ADD2e rules for morale et al are quite good and intuitive. You don't need to use them all the time, but ocasionally using them, to surprise even yourself, works really well.

sckeener

First Post
ironregime said:
On a related note, as player of characters who frequently try to capture rather than kill, it annoys me when the DM portrays all the bad guys as having death wishes. Sometimes there are valid reasons for NPCs to fight to the death, but when every villain/mook does this ALL the time, I get a tad frustrated.

Seconded. Recently I had a DM for whom I should not have taken one point in Diplomacy or Bluff...because it was always going to end in a dead match fight. The only reason skill checks mattered was because the DM would reveal more information the higher we rolled...it was still going to be a fight to the death, but at least we were well informed combatants....

Their was no taking prisoners in our group...there was no element of conversion. It was pretty much, if you glow (we had a paladin) you die...and the bad guys knew it.

My group hates it when I DM....all sorts of gray moral areas are usually in the game...they prefer black and white.

Remove ads