• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Grey Region Toronto - Dead?

AllisterH

First Post
Thanks RC, it was the Hairy Tarantula I was thinking of.

Ah, 410!!! That's where I got my first pack of M:TG cards from. Revised had just started and it was the perfect time to jump in.

Is the Silver Snail (the big hobby store a couple blocks down from CityTv) still around?

fireinthedust

Explorer
Silver Snail: every time I go in there I end up answering questions for customers about comics. The staff will go "huh, good question" and I, being OCD, go "oh, that wasn't in Thor, that was in Xmen" or something. I don't even know that much. They should give me a job!!!
They also have that great display out front, and a life-sized Rorschach as you walk in, just out of the way. Nice.

kapnkrunch

First Post
This is hilarious... I'm downtown all the time and I didn't even realize that Grey Region had closed. Frankly, it doesn't surprise me. Far be it from me to rejoice in the misfortunes of others but that store had lost its mojo for a long time. I can't speak to their selection of comics as I'm not a comic collector but their selection of games, as pointed out earlier in this thread, was a dusty collection of 15+ year-old RPGs, many of which were used/open/incomplete. I get the impression that this store was limping along as an Internet cafe and just couldn't make ends meet. I know that a lot of businesses whose leases are coming due are having their rent literally doubled upon renewal; perhaps that had something to do with Grey Region closing.

I remember back in the 1990s when they were "Grey Legion" on the second floor on Queen Street (I think?). Back then they were a pretty cool store. One funny memory I have from that location is buying some Magic singles and the guy behind the counter was gushing to the point of making me feel very awkward over the art on one of the cards and was really interested in my opinion on it. I just awkwardly said something like "yeah, it's pretty terrific" and got out of there before he put on his suit made of human skin. :)

Grey (R/L)egion also had a store in Square One for quite a while back in the late 80s/early 90s. I remember the guy that ran that store. He definitely.... told some "tall tales." I remember when the Chronicles I set for Magic was coming out (a set bringing back cards from past sets; summer of 1995) and he told me, "I know for a fact that Black Lotus is being re-released in Chronicles." I'm guessing that, since it was 1995, he didn't realize that there was this thing called The Internet and that information like this was pretty easily debunked. Given the clientele, I'm doubting he bilked anyone.

AllisterH

First Post
I remember the Grey Region from SQone (hell, I live in Miss) but I haven't been there in YEARS (SQone itself).

While I was going to school at the St. George campus in Toronto, there was this hobby store on the 2nd floor (real small) run by this older woman that was like right across the street from the St. George campus....Is it still there?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
While I was going to school at the St. George campus in Toronto, there was this hobby store on the 2nd floor (real small) run by this older woman that was like right across the street from the St. George campus....Is it still there?

I assume that you mean the one that was at College St. and St.George/Beverley?

No, it's been gone for many years, alas.

AllisterH

First Post
I assume that you mean the one that was at College St. and St.George/Beverley?

No, it's been gone for many years, alas.

Yep, that's the one....that woman really knew her stuff.

p.s. Someone just told me recently Citytv is no longer near Silver Snail? When did it move and where is it now?

p.s. Someone just told me recently Citytv is no longer near Silver Snail? When did it move and where is it now?

CityTV has actually moved to Yonge and Dundas Square by the Eaton's Centre.

I also am a huge fan of Hairy's and I can't stand the Silver Snail anymore. They have no clue what they are talking about and, IMO, they have gone trendy. *shudder*

There is a small place out in the 'Shwa called World's Collide. Not bad and a good alternative to WyldeStar which is going downhill since the move to East Oshawa

The Grey Region at Square One in Mississauga is still there but it's focus is not on RPG material. The selection isn't very good and prices are inflated. It's more a comic book and comic book paraphernalia store.

The best hobby store in the GTA is, without a doubt, the Hobby Kingdom in Burlington: Hobby Kingdom

Without a doubt, the most fan-focused hobby store in the history of gaming.

Remove ads