• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greybeards & Grognards 1

jensun

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I get so sick of kids today bastardizing the language.
You say this as if the english language has some sort of purity attributable to it.

To misquote an author whose name I forget (it may be Pratchett) the English language has been known to mug other languages in dark alleys and rifle their pockets for spare vocabulary... :)

Also, I am a Geek and proud of it. I am not a grognard (I dont rail about the state of games today) but I have in the past been a wargamer. I also consider myself a veteran having lasted 25 years in the hobby.

jensun

First Post
diaglo said:
as a 1st lvl fighting man you would enjoy my OD&D campaign then
I would enjoy any OD&D game. It was my entry game into the hobby and I still have very fond memories of it.

My experience doesnt quite go as far back as yours (we played the old Basic - Master set) but it is what hooked me into gaming.

diaglo

Adventurer
jensun said:
I would enjoy any OD&D game. It was my entry game into the hobby and I still have very fond memories of it.

My experience doesnt quite go as far back as yours (we played the old Basic - Master set) but it is what hooked me into gaming.
i'm still running a game out of the 3 booklets, reference sheets, and 3d6 in order.

jensun

First Post
diaglo said:
i'm still running a game out of the 3 booklets, reference sheets, and 3d6 in order.
From your previous posts I know although that is perhaps a little extreme for me.

I prefer a bit more crunch to my games.

Aeric

Explorer
Mark CMG said:

Off-topic, but I have to say I am amused (and proud!) to see you link Alan Emrich's site. Mr. Emrich teaches video game design at my school (Art Institute of Orange County) and I was fortunate enough to have him last quarter. Great guy, amazing speaker. It would take some real effort to get anything but an A in his class; not because he was an easy grader, but because the material as he presented it just naturally adhered to one's brain.

Anyhoo, carry on. :)

Thulcondar

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
Uhm... yeah I got to go with this.

Grognard is an old campaigner. He's a wargamer or an old skool miniature's player (from whence D&D was derived). Back then, there really wasn't much of a difference.

Now, it is true that many grognards became early OD&D Diaglo style RPG players and continue to be active in RPGs. Gary Gygax, Rob Kuntz and Dave Arneson were Grognards. Grognards created the game, after all.

And grognards continued to develop after RPGs were released. A Star Fleet Battles hardcore junkie has a claim, of sorts, to the title.

Still, a grogs' credentials ultimately lie in Squad Leader, Afrika Corps, and Panzer Leader et al - they don't lie in any game played with a D20.

Greybeard for RPGs? Yes. Grognard? No. Although there are many greybeards who also happen to BE grognards. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Now all that said, "Greybeards and Grognards" is a great and catchy title. By all means keep it.

I must concur.

And, in the process, reinforce the point that the two terms are by no means mutually exclusive. Just because I played OD&D doesn't mean I gave up 15 mm Napoleonics or War In Europe.

Thulcondar

"SPI Died For Our Sins"

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, I would protest that while Grognard does have some prejudice in regards to the newer games (whether as Wargames vs. RPGs or as OD&D vs. 3.5) Greybeard should not carry that same freight - they are just older gamers, each with our own, err, I mean their own vices and foibles, but not necessarily stuck in the past.

Fatbeard on the other hand... I have met a few, and am relieved to say that while my beard may be grey it does not cover a sizeable paunch. :p

The Auld Grump

diaglo

Adventurer
Thulcondar said:
Steel_Wind said:
Uhm... yeah I got to go with this.

Grognard is an old campaigner. He's a wargamer or an old skool miniature's player (from whence D&D was derived). Back then, there really wasn't much of a difference.

Now, it is true that many grognards became early OD&D Diaglo style RPG players and continue to be active in RPGs. Gary Gygax, Rob Kuntz and Dave Arneson were Grognards. Grognards created the game, after all.

And grognards continued to develop after RPGs were released. A Star Fleet Battles hardcore junkie has a claim, of sorts, to the title.

Still, a grogs' credentials ultimately lie in Squad Leader, Afrika Corps, and Panzer Leader et al - they don't lie in any game played with a D20.

Greybeard for RPGs? Yes. Grognard? No. Although there are many greybeards who also happen to BE grognards. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Now all that said, "Greybeards and Grognards" is a great and catchy title. By all means keep it.
I must concur.

And, in the process, reinforce the point that the two terms are by no means mutually exclusive. Just because I played OD&D doesn't mean I gave up 15 mm Napoleonics or War In Europe.

Thulcondar

"SPI Died For Our Sins"

i agree.

i too didn't give up my wargaming ways. now i do it all online or via computer games. the wargamers are harder to find than OD&Ders. took me 7 years to build up an OD&D group. i don't want to guess how long it would take to find a Squad Leader one.

khyron1144

First Post
I did take one suggestion from this thread and started a blog using the Greybeards & Grognards title. There is a much revised version of the initial post of this thread there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads