• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greybeards & Grognards 1

Silver Moon

Adventurer
diaglo said:
the wargamers are harder to find than OD&Ders.
You're not looking in the right place - they're out there, always have been always will be.

I recall in the early 80's when the local Wargaming club expanded their annual conventions to include RGP's. Their attendance doubled then doubled again and they were able to run better conventions, but the wargaming Grognards objected so loudly to the organizers about the 'kids' and their 'distruptive behavior' (i.e., laughing and smiling during games) that they cut them back to just wargaming and then folded a year later, since they could no longer financially support the conventions.

In the late 80's and early 90's I would run elaborate 3D D&D games using various terrain and forces that would often take up 4x8 feet of table space. Thus, the gaming conventions would assign me space in the wargaming room rather than the RPG room as that was where the bigger tables were. Once I was set up, but before the players actually arrived, the wargaming Grognards would come over and comment favorably to my set up and ask what game system I was using. When I replied "Dungeons and Dragons" they would react as if I said that I had the plague and then hurried away in disgust.

Gez

First Post
Sheesh. The only real grognards are veterans of Napoléon's army. Unfortunately, between battles, starvation, diseases and the rather limited lifespan alloted to humans (heh, that's War, Famine, Pestilence and Death), there aren't any grognard left. Hasn't been any for a couple of centuries already.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
khyron1144 said:
I did take one suggestion from this thread and started a blog using the Greybeards & Grognards title. There is a much revised version of the initial post of this thread there.

Shift definition three of Grognard down to definition one of Greybeard (as you nearly do) and I think you'll have it all straightened out to both actual wargamer and RPGer satisfaction.

khyron1144

First Post
Mark said:
Shift definition three of Grognard down to definition one of Greybeard (as you nearly do) and I think you'll have it all straightened out to both actual wargamer and RPGer satisfaction.

Done!

You know since these are slang terms/ in-jokes/ gamer jargon, isn't popular usage the only method to arrive at a definition?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads