• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Greybeards & Grognards 3: Assassins, Paladins, and Party Harmony

khyron1144

First Post
An x-post from my blog

Greybeards & Grognards 3: Assassins, Paladins, Image Problems, and Party Harmony! Oh My!

I mentioned before that the assassin class was dumped in the 1e to 2e switch because of image problems and party harmony issues. I promised that there was an essay in there somewhere. Here goes:

I believe that D&D's image problem goes deeper than the assassin class. I also believe that, properly played, paladins are more disruptive to party harmony than assassins.

Assassins must be of evil alignment, but may be lawful evil, chaotic evil, or neutral evil. Paladins must be lawful good. Other than alignment restrictions, assassins have no particular code of conduct. In addition to being lawful good in alignment, paladins have a detailed code of conduct, including a flat prohibition against adventuring with evil characters and restrictions on adventuring with nuetral characters. They can also detect evil, which prevents potential covert evil PCs from maintaining their cover.

Here's what the Players Handbook says of lawful good:

"Lawful Good: While as strict in their prosecution of law and order, characters of lawful good alignment follow these precepts to improve the common weal. Certain freedoms must, of course be sacrificed in order to being order; but truth is of highest value, and life and beauty of great importance. The benefits of this society are to be brought to all." (Gygax, P. 33)

Looking at this definition of lawful good, the supposed team player aspects are suggested but not quite spelled out. That is to say that the rules don't say that a lawful good paladin can't be a dick. Actually, under certain circumstances, the rules pretty much require it. For instance, if the party wants to hire mercenary NPCs for a particulalry dangerous mission, the paladin would be required to turn away evil applicants. This sort of behavior can have the rest of the party tearing their hair out in frustration.

Now let's look at what the Players Handbook has to say about the evil alignments:

"Chaotic Evil: The major precepts of this alignment are freedom, randomness, and woe. Laws and order, kindness, and good deeds are disdained. Life has no value. By promoting chaos and evil, those of this alignment hope to bring themselves to positions of power, glory, and prestige in a system ruled by individual caprice and their own whims." (Gygax, P. 33)

"Lawful Evil: Creatures of this alignment are great respecters of laws and strict order, but life, beauty, truth, freedom and the like are held as valueless, or at least scorned. By adhering to stringent discipline, those of lawful evil alignment hope to impose their yoke upon the world." (Gygax, P. 33)

"Neutral Evil: The nuetral evil creature views law and chaos as unnecessary onsiderations, for pure evil is all-in-all. Either may be used, but both are disdained as foolish clutter useless in eventually bringing maximum evilness to the world. (Gygax, P. 33)

Note that nowhere in all this does it say that, "Evil characters kill the rest of the party and take all their treasure at the earliest possible oppurtunity," or, "An evil character must be a jerk." The statement that, "Life has no value," for a chaotic evil cahracter sounds damning, but the next senetence about a system of individual caprice seems to imply taht the chaotic evil are not simply nihilists desring universal destruction; it sounds like it might imply a certain sort of anarchism, though.

I think I've made my position on the party harmony issue clear and given evidence for my opinion. You are free to agree or disagree with me. Now let's move on to D&D's image problem.

D&D has two major image problems outside the RPG community:
1) D&D is seen as Satanic and
2) D&D is seen as geeky.

I have, on occasion met people who see my D&D hobby as evidence that I'm a Satanist. Rational, well-constructed, logical arguments won't work in these situations because the belief is irrational and emotional. Really, there's nothing that can be done about it, but getting rid of the assassin class from the Players Handbook that these people won't read anyway is not that much help.

Others don't think we're worshipping the devil; they simply think we're weird and geeky. Honestly, I agree with them. Having a hobby at all these days is outside the norms of society. Having a hobby that involves thinking and reading and requires basic math skills is even weirder. Then there's the fact, that we are basically adults, playing pretend. It's hard to see normality anywhere near the D&D hobby. I'm fine with that. Looking at what's hep these days, I'd rather be a geek. Again, dropping the assassin class from the Players Handbook that those who look down on the hobby won't even read does nothing to help D&D's image problem.

Inside the RPG hobby, D&D is looked down on for a variety of reasons:
It's too complicated; it doesn't encourage real character development or real role-palying; most D&D games end up in fractious and backstabbing contests to see who can get the most kewl stuff.

In some ways, the rules for various versions of D&D are more complex than systems that stress simplicity, like FUDGE. Dropping the assassin class doesn't really fix this.

Character development and role-playing are independant of the rules set. D&D can be as RP-intense as Vampire: the Masquerade, and Vampire: the Masquerade can end up in the same tactical swamp as D&D. Dropping the assassin class doesn't deal with this.

Backstabbing is somewhat encouraged by the D&D rules. If your character gets better when he gets a better slice of the loot or kills more monsters, then palyers who want to advance their characters at all costs will work against the rest of the party. Here's where dropping the assassin class helps, but I think it's a little bandaid on a huge festering wound.

Work Cited:
Gygax, Gary. Players Handbook. TSR Hobbies. Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Wik

First Post
khyron1144 said:
Others don't think we're worshipping the devil; they simply think we're weird and geeky. Honestly, I agree with them. Having a hobby at all these days is outside the norms of society. Having a hobby that involves thinking and reading and requires basic math skills is even weirder. Then there's the fact, that we are basically adults, playing pretend. It's hard to see normality anywhere near the D&D hobby. I'm fine with that. Looking at what's hep these days, I'd rather be a geek. Again, dropping the assassin class from the Players Handbook that those who look down on the hobby won't even read does nothing to help D&D's image problem.

That sounds a bit elitist - that anyone who can read, "Think" and perform basic math is weird? I don't really think most of us gamers are that standoffish from society at large.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I don't mind being looked at as wierd and geeky... :)

And I think you're quite right, a well-played Paladin in an average party is likely going to cause more headaches than a well-played Assassin.

You missed in your Paladin assessment that they also have issues with adventuring with chaotics on an ongoing basis. As most of our crew tend to enjoy playing chaotics, and a few - like me - are quite happy to drift into evil as well - the result is either the person who wants to play a Paladin gets hosed, or everyone who wants to play chaotics and-or evils is hosed.

The answer, of course, is to loosen the straitjacket a bit so as to allow Paladins to adventure with anyone, provided the aims of the *adventure* are Good, and overtly evil acts are not carried out in pursuit of said aims.

Lanefan

jensun

First Post
Lanefan said:
The answer, of course, is to loosen the straitjacket a bit so as to allow Paladins to adventure with anyone, provided the aims of the *adventure* are Good, and overtly evil acts are not carried out in pursuit of said aims.
Or to sit down as a group before you even begin to play the game and discuss just what sort of game you, as a group, want to play.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
khyron1144 said:
That is to say that the rules don't say that a lawful good paladin can't be a dick. Actually, under certain circumstances, the rules pretty much require it. For instance, if the party wants to hire mercenary NPCs for a particulalry dangerous mission, the paladin would be required to turn away evil applicants. This sort of behavior can have the rest of the party tearing their hair out in frustration.

Nothing but poor rules interpretations requires the Paladin to be a dick about almost anything other than openly consorting with evil beings and why would anyone want that to begin with? Why in the world would you want to hire evil mercenaries for, anyway? They'll just do their best to screw you in the end. The paladin would prevent you from hiring a group of people that won't think anything about casually betraying you once the contract is at an end, or if they think they have an advantage.

Valiant

First Post
This is one of those topics thats always difficult to deal with considering the various ways groups like to play. We always enjoyed the conflicts that came up between PCs because it emulates "real life" thus adding to the immersion. So keep it to yourself (if your evil) and mind your own buisness if your good or pay the consequence.

khyron1144

First Post
WayneLigon said:
Why in the world would you want to hire evil mercenaries for, anyway? They'll just do their best to screw you in the end. The paladin would prevent you from hiring a group of people that won't think anything about casually betraying you once the contract is at an end, or if they think they have an advantage.

The point I was trying to make wasn't that a party would want to hire specifically evil mercenaries, but a party might not particularly care whether mercenaries they hire are evil or not, unless it contains a paladin who refuses to adventure with evil characters.

Valiant

First Post
IMO the worst thing you can do (and last resort) is not allow certain alignments or classes from being used (afterall alot of the fun the player has in the game is imagining what his PC is like, that doesn't mean he has to act it out). If the DM is worried about game flow, just tell the players you don't want to waist game time with in group fighting based on alignement. Most players won't have a problem with this if asked.

The Paladin is tricky because they are going to turn their noses up at even some nuetral behavior (and the majority of players who might be nuetral migh feel sufficated having to bend to this one guys wishes) but theres not much you can do in this case (thats part of the class description). The Paladin will have to choose what he wants to do, but remind him that to accomplish goals he can't do it alone, and these are some of the better people he has found to work with (ie. its slim picken's when it comes to finding good aligned adventurers to work with). Usually the paladin objecting to party members actions is enough. If a player wants to assassinate or backstab the paladin (and who could blame them) I'd just not allow it (if you have no other option) maybe have the paladin suddenly turn or waken (warned of impending doom from his god or whatever). If the evil player has a problem with it, he can always leave. In the end though, if players want to fight each other, as DM theres not much you can do.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
It's going back a while but my recollection of 1E was that Paladins and Assassins were both OK depending on the existing party. Problems only really arose when you tried to shoe horn a character into as a poor match for an existing party.

I can remember a generally good group of characters (no Paladin though) where a new player introduced an Assassin but pretended to be a Thief.

I know this isn't a terribly novel idea but the point I'm trying to make is that in this context their was a certain level a deceit to the other players when playing an Assassin as something else whereas a Paladin is clearly a Paladin.

In the above case it worked out OK as that was a time when our group didn't "share" character sheet information. Players only know about the other characters from what they said or did.

Remove ads