GREYHAWK CY963 GOLDEN ERA CAMPAIGN: HEROES OF DYVERS: CHAPTER 4

Waynan

Adventurer
GM: The Invisibility Sphere has ended by this point.

Tam-Tam "sees" everyone as he would normally, not the wavy light distortion figures that was the only giveaway of the other's presence around him while they were ensorceled, except the caster, Sylvar, who was merely surrounded by a wavering aura. He immediately grabs his short bow and nocks an arrow while gripping another for ready flight and peers south along the trail.

Before any of the strange looks from the others can bore through his perpetual self-awareness, he says:

"I don't know about you, but we need to move out of here and find defensible ground. I may be a mere jeweler and thief; but my father was a militia captain for my people in Furyondy, and he taught me much about potential dangers, like, signs of enemy presence, enemy methodologies and practices, and proper defense against those enemies, real or imagined. Imagined, that is, due to "Fog of War". Goblins, Hobgoblins and Norkers were frequent threats and we all learned to do our part. Though no soldier, I was a good scout, sniper and spy."

Tam-Tam looks to the other's humorously quizzical to surprisingly startled looks:

"Did I just divulge too much?"

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Not at all, we will rely on such information about each so that we can be an effective fighting group.

Last edited by a moderator:

Waynan

Adventurer
"Then, please, let's get out of this place and up or down the road and decide where to go. After seeing all those Ogre and Troll tracks, I'm for finding a town and having a warm bed to sleep on, even if it's only a pile of hay in a barn."

And with that, Tam-Tam takes a step southward, caring not about the drenching any longer. He just doesn't want to be on an Ogre's cooking spit or have his bones gnawed on by a Troll. Brr, he shivers; not from the chill rain, but from the thoughts of such grim endings.

Last edited:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Despite the pouring rain, when Lathir notices that the others are following, he pauses for a bit then travels more slowly so the others can catch him. After having taken such a lengthy amount of time to study the roadway, following the tracks, at this point, should be rather routine.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale Surmises The Choices

~ Methinks the other elf is not in a good place. ~

"You fellows realize we are missing one of our number, right? He's not in the rain either. He never came through."

Vale is visibly uncomfortable with the missing party member. "Something got him, or the portal closed behind us. Impetuous elf put his nose and arse somewhere where he shouldn't have. I'll leave this right here should he make it through. ."

The rain combined with the missing elf puts Vale into a most disagreeable mood. Sullen, he communicates w/ Val, the Axe. "I don't suppose you can keep me warm through this weather?"

He takes a sunrod and draws an arrow toward the south, and writes a phonetic version of "Gus' Owner" in Elven below the arrow, hoping the wayward elf finds it if he comes through later, and if not, anyone else will simply be confused. He then strikes the sunrod hard on the ground, activating it, and jams it into the ground near the arrow.

He heads south with the party, looking in the rain for similar signs as Lathir. "Val, I need you to use your own darkvision to give us some warning of what's around us. Wouldn't want to become giant/troll/orc bait, at least not without drawing a little blood first. " He chuckles. "Whoever made the teleport circles thought this place important enough to send people to, but not to provide a return trip. That suggests trouble. "

Waynan

Adventurer
While there is still light, Tam-Tam plods onward, but he knows that when the sun falls behind the cliffs and hills, he would need some light to continue. Unfortunately, he didn't have the type of darkvision that some of the others have...and lighting a torch would be impossible in this downpour.

redraider629

Explorer
Kleborn:
Kleborn does not mind the rain too much, he faced worse on the seas. Like Vale, he too is concerned for his elf friend. "I thought it was strange when I did not hear him when we were all invisible." Kleborn then says, partly as a reassurance to himself and the others, "I am sure he will be with us soon enough. He probably wandered off to explore the cave a little. I am sure he will see your message Vale, and join with us soon." With that he joins the others as they continue to make their way south. "I too could use a warm bed soon"

Thallok:
Thallok continues to walk quietly south with his falchion in his hand, remaining watchful for any trouble that might approach.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar thinks to himself ~...if it weren't so wet I'd take out my lute and play a traveling song.~ He also wonders what the group will call itself if something happens to Respen. ~...I always liked Respen's Raiders even if the grouchy elf didn't....somehow Lathir's Louts doesn't have the same ring to it.~ Sylvar chuckles... ~...although I don't think Lathir would go for having the group named after him.~
OOC: this is all internal dialogue

GM: When I use thoughts, I usually put ~ marks instead of quotations, and then I change the text color to red. You can do it however you like, but as you can see from my edit, it looks really nice.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
South it is, then...

GM:
After studying the tracks, the party decides to follow them to the south. I am assuming the following marching order, based on recent conversations, plus posted character intentions.

00-Muddy-Road-Battle-Base-Map-001.png

Lathir is in the lead, doing the tracking. Kleborn and Dewydd are front-line defense, Vale is up front as both defense / support.
Tam is in the middle, where he can be protected. Sylvar is on flank, and Thallok is rear guard.

The sandy-colored squares are the sheer, canyon wall. The gray squares are sandy mud (3/4 move rate) and the brown squares are soggy, clay-laden mud (1/2 move rate).

The rain continues to pour down in wave after wave of torrential fury.

Lathir is at the southern head of the party; Thallok is at the northern head. Sylvar is on the western flank, while Dewydd is on the eastern flank.

After about 4 hours of travel, just as the sun is beginning to set, the rain begins to let up. There is still a light drizzle, which is enough to keep the mud wet, but visibility is now greatly improved.

As the party is rounding the bend, they behold a gruesome sight: a wagon train has been waylaid, and the Elves and Humans who were driving it lay scattered around the road, dead. Standing in the middle of the carnage are 2 Hill Giants, 2 Trolls, and 4 Ogres. Also milling around, scavenging and looting, are 6 Fiendish Orcs. They have not yet noticed the party, but they might at any second. Lathir is the first one to see it, and he stops suddenly, quietly signalling the others behind him.

00-Muddy-Road-Battle-Base-Map-002.png

GM: The Gray squares on top are actually meant to be sandy yellow. I was using that line as the canyon wall. The oversight will be corrected on the next post.

EVERYONE: What do you do?

Last edited:

Remove ads